New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIES Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there special dies made for reloading semi-auto rifles?

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Some like to use small base dies which size the case head/base area just a bit smaller. Iive used both types for my Garand but have seen no real advanatage yet.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The small base dies were developed for the military style semi-auto's like the Garand. These have a floating firing pin, and any difficulty in chambering the round could easily result in an open bolt discharge (i.e. slamfire). The small base dies squish the rounds down a bit more to make SURE the ammo slides right in.

Getting an inadequately sized round stuck in a chamber is no fun, and this is especially in an auto. I know many people that use standard dies for their 7400's and BAR's, and report proper functioning, so many authorities suggest a "try it and see" attitude.

All that said, most brass fails at the neck or through impending case head separation, long before overworking at the base. In that sense, there is no reason not to use a SB die. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dutch,i have a friend who told me to buy a SB die for my .270 auto-loader.I will spend the money and pick one up and hopefully will solve my ejecting cases problem.

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... hopefully will solve my ejecting cases problem.

If you are not cleaning the "Chamber" through the Ejection Port, then you probably just have a dirty Chamber.

When you clean from the muzzle(as with some semi-autos), as the brush exits the barrel into the chamber area the bristles fling residue and trash all over the chamber. Then when you follow up with a patch, it won't open wide enough to wipe the trash out.

Over the years the residue will build up and cause ejection problems.

Hoppe's makes a special nylon handled rod with a "T-handle" just for this. Screw a 44cal brush into it, put it through the ejection port and twist the chamber clean. Then wrap a patch around the brush(so it is a snug fit) and give it a few twists. It might take a few cleanings, just depends.

One other tip is to place a "spent case" in the chamber prior to cleaning from the muzzle. This will trap most of the trash inside that case as the bristles spring open. Save that case just for cleaning. But you still need to clean the chamber irregardless.

So, Small Base Dies may or may not help you with your ejection problem.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote