New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it that makes an accurate bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there things that I can to do as a newbie reloader to ensure that I have consistency in my reloads. I seem to have found a load that my 308 likes, got the bullet seated on the lands which improved my accuracy quite a bit but I'm still getting the occasional flyer. The run out is .0005-.003 at the bullet. Is it better for accuracy to have a lighter charge of powder than a max load. I'm using IMR 4065 42 grains, Federal gold medal match fire formed brass, federal 210 primer, seems to be preety good but where do I go from here. Best Regards Steve.

Posts: 76 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Sea, the runout could be your problem. Try putting your bullet in the seating die and seat the bullet and then turn the cartridge 180 degrees and see if the lowers your runout. Also check a fired case to see what the runout is and then check a case after sizing. Good Luck

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess you mean what makes for an accurate load. The answer is in part first given by the first respondent, and secondly by matching your loads to conditions. This means that not all loads shoot well every day. Benchresters are often seen playing with their loads as the day progresses. I do however think that when the basics of loading are mastered, and runout and other factors minimized you should have a workable load. Also what degree of accuracy you are looking for is also a major area of contention. The maximum your rifle is capable of is not always what we as individuals can provide. My best and most consistant .308 load is 42.3 grs. of IMR 4064 with the Sierra 168 MK and Fed 210M primers at 2.835" COL for my rifle. Work on loading technique and shoot as often as possible, then you can load some more! Enjoy.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote