THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    the question no one can probably answer...experts only

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the question no one can probably answer...experts only
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi: Hope I intrigued some. Hey, does anyone know where I can get .228" bullets? Or will a bulletmaker custom make them? I need jacketed bullets. Befor you tell me Hornady has a 70 gr.
.227" bullet, I know this...other sources or ideas
pls. help! I know "Sisk" used to make them, but am
sure they are not in business. Any help from the
cognoscenti gun guys will sure be appreciated!
Thanks, All

Aloha, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Did you try googling (.228" bullets)?

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,862.html

http://www.huntingtons.com/Bullet-Custom.html

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
There's an outfit called Moloc Bullets that makes a lot of the odd sizes, like .286" 7mm's, .267" 6.5mm's, .318" 8mm's, etc. They may be able to furnish bullets for those .228" .22's.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try www.ows.ammunition.com vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've hit on a real sore spot with me. The bullet and case manufacturing companies can spell death real quick by simply halting the components. I'm sure there are still quite a few Savages still out there that require the .228" bullet. I'm sure they could make limited runs of these components without throwing themselves into financial ruin. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons offer a .228 bullet in 60 and 70 gr. hollow points..It's under Custom Bullets in their catalog....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonland,
What are you loading for that needs a .228 bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
beer Gerard,

The most common for .228" bullets in the US/Canada is the 22 Savage High Power aka the 5.6x52R in Europe commonly for break-open and insert/3rd barrels on combination guns and drillings, used primarily for Roe Deer.

There are some other US exotics (read fairly rare) like the old Newton etc. that take .228's as well.

Cheers,

Gerry

P.S. I would have asked for a visit with you if I only knew you are located in Port Elizabeth SA. Subscribe to Magnum, enjoy reading about your bullets!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

You are always welcome to visit.

I have the specification of the 22 Savage as .221" bore, .226" groove and one in 12" twist and the source is Lothar Walther. Is this wrong?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink Gerard,

Sorry the belated response - out-of-town on business.

To be quite frank - bewildered I defer to your measurements, you're in the bullet business and you'll know alot better than myself what size bits and pieces should go out the tube! If that's what Walter Lothar says is correct for the 5.6x52R, I've no reason to query them. I'm just an interested basement reloader who reads alot. I've actually no expereince at all with the 5.6x52R or the .22 Newton.

Lothar Walter barrels are as good as they get (I've got one of theirs on a 9.3x62 that is a real tack driver!) and if they claim .226" is the correct measurement then I'm sure it's correct. I see a number of drillings with their 5.6x52R insert tubes in the left shotgun barrel for Roe Deer and Foxes here in Germany as well.

Just took a look at Ken Water's famous Pet Loads book and for the 22 Savage High Power he lists using .228", .227" and .224" bullets! He notes the cartidge is for .228" bullets as does the Vihtavuori reloading manual which specifically states maximum bullet diameter as .228" (5.79mm).

I remember reading an article about the .22 Newton that used a large (read: unusual size)catridge case for .228" bullets, including the current owner's difficulties in obtaining good bullets for it.

Hornady's catalog currently has a .227" 70 grain spitzer bullet in it's line-up - I would image almost exclusively made for that catridge.

Lothar Walter is not too far down the road from here and I can always give them a call if you want....?

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
The 22 Hi Power, Savage Mod. 99 shoots .228 bullets and only Huntingtons make that bullet, however Hornady makes a 227 bullet and of course it will also work...

LW specs are for the metric version of same caliber referred to as a 5.6x52R...however they will all work in either caliber.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote