Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

conflicting info, help.
 Login/Join

posted
I just started reloading this week. I have the RCBS master kit.

what I am reloading is 225 gr nosler accubond in 338 win mag powder is RL19

reference sourses are:
1)Barnes Manual #3
2)Speer Manual #13
3)Nosler Manual 5th edition
4)A single caliber reloading data book

The problem is they all conflict on info as far as min and max loads for same powder and bullet weights.
Barnes shows a min of 67.0 and a max of 72.0

Nosler shows a min of 68.5 and a max of 72.5

Speer shows a min of 74.0 and a max of 78.0

Single caliber book shows a min of 68 and a max of 73.0

Speer is the manual that came with my reloading kit.

I am confused as to which data is correct and which to use. Any help or clarification would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 8 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is they are all correct for the firearm with the bullet and load in which they were tested.

Nosler made the bullet, so that would be the "basic" load information to start with. I would start with their 68.5 gr. load and work up one grain at a time to maybe 71.0 gr. and then continue up by one half grain until you see pressure signs either by case head measurements or velocity anomolies in the chronograph readings. Your rifle my easily reach Nosler's max level and possibly could even get past it by a grain or so, but only by carefully watching for signs of pressure. FWIW, that 74.0 gr. load sounds might stiff to me, but then again, it is data for a different bullet than what you are using.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why they always tell you to start at 10% below max and work your way up. The reloading manuals never tell you what the cases weight is. But they will always tell you about useing military cases in 223-308-30-06 being heaver and to reduce the load.

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
something I forgot to mention, my rifle is a new Browning A-bolt stainless steel stalker with BOSS system on it.

Posts: 8 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a great example why it is necessary to have at least 3 to 5 sources of data. It is like getting quotes. Throw out the highs and the lows if they are far from the rest of the data. In this case the Speer data is obviously the odd ball data.
Compare Speer's data with other powders and other bullet weights to see if it is a trend or just that one combination that is an outlier.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My opinion on this is fairly basic. The ONLY 2 sources you should be referencing while loading a Nosler bullet and Reloder powder is the NOSLER MANUAL AND THE RELODER MANUAL.

Looking at a Speer or Hornady manual to load a Nosler bullet can get you into trouble. And vice versa.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
My opinion on this is fairly basic. The ONLY 2 sources you should be referencing while loading a Nosler bullet and Reloder powder is the NOSLER MANUAL AND THE RELODER MANUAL.
Looking at a Speer or Hornady manual to load a Nosler bullet can get you into trouble. And vice versa.

That's good advice Doc, but even Nosler lumps in NBT, NAB & partion into the same data & they are all pretty diff. construction. I start w/ the bullet manuf. data & backoff 5% from max. & work up. I have yet to find a load that requires you back off the "recommended" 10% & work up. Same for starting w/ min. data, it's often just a waste of componets & time. beer
charlie, if you notice the Speer data is for the very short bearing surface of the 225grspbt. Any other 225gr bullet will cause much higher pressures using the Speer data.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer Manual max loads tend to be pretty hot loads in comparison and useing it as a reference alot of times there max powder weight shows high pressure with other brand bullets and even with speer bullets.
I also like my brass to last many reloads.

Even some of the Alliant powder load data is hot with some of my calibers, example my 6.5x55.

Sometimes I even see higher powder weights printed with heavyer bullets wieghts in the same senario, like a heavyer powder wieght with a 160gr bullet than with a 140gr bullet.

I used to think the nosler manual was very conservative with powder charge wieghts but now I think nosler is pretty good reference to stick with.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would tend to look past the Speer data because it is so far from the others and start around 70grs and go up in .5gr increments to 73grs and see which one groups the best. Chances are you will never get 78grs of that powder in that case without jumping on the press handle anyway. My .300 Win Mag has more case capacity and uses shorter bullets and I cant get 78grs of anything in the case under a bullet.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
That's good advice Doc, but even Nosler lumps in NBT, NAB & partion into the same data & they are all pretty diff. construction.

Yes they do, but if that is how they test it and publish it, then I'll go with it. I've been loading Nosler bullets for a short time compared to most (since late 80s) and I've never run into any issues going from a btip to a partition or now, the AB.

quote:
I start w/ the bullet manuf. data & backoff 5% from max. & work up. I have yet to find a load that requires you back off the "recommended" 10% & work up. Same for starting w/ min. data, it's often just a waste of componets & time. beer

That's what I do. I agree 100%. Only in 2 rifles have I started with the minimal loads and that is because they were both chambered at Shilen.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your advice. It is most appreciated

Charlie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found the Speer Manual on the high side, so I just use it as a reference.
I experiened an overpressure load from the Speer Maunal that they showed as below max. So, no more loads from the Speer Manual.

Don