New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Solid Base Spitzer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently ran across an old box of Nosler solid base boat tail bullets in .243 caliber. They are 100 grain and have a part number 30390. I was planning on using them in my Rem 788 in 6mm for a whitetail load, but I can't find any load data for them.
If anyone has used these and can pass along their comments of them and any load data it would be greatly appreciated.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were replaced by the ballistic tip bullet. I've used them in 7mm's in the past and didn't feel like they expanded very well. The velocity was on the low side though. You should be able to use ballistic tip loading information for them. As usual, start low and work your way up.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood--they are an awesomebullet so get after it--personally I wish Nozler had never discontinued them.......

They will work quite well so get after it.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought a couple boxes of 165 gr 30 cal solid base several years ago, after they had gone out of production...wish i had bought more. they shot incredible groups, always well under moa, and killed like lightning. i recently ran out and am looking for a substitute that will shoot as well....still looking.

good luck and good shooting
eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Except for the tip, they are the exact same bullet as the Ballistic Tips; same bearing surfaces, ogives, etc. So, yes, use current BT data and be on your way.

For anyone interested shootersproshop.com has some 130-gr. .277" Solid Bases in their Nosler 2nds inventory for $9 a box. Unfortunately, no other calibers appear available.

RSY

[ 10-24-2003, 20:39: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a horded supply of the old 100 grain Solid Base in my .243 for deer. It is accurate, expands well, and has outstanding penetration. Use data for any 100 grain bullet, just work up as you should with any load.

I loaned this gun/load to a neighbor two years ago and he made a 375 yard one-shot kill on a nine point whitetail.

I also use a 130/.270 SB in my .270 Winchester.

After running out of 55/.224's for my .222 Magnum, I have never found a bullet as satisfactory.

Wish they still made them, and apparently so do a lot of other people -- whenever a box comes up on eBay it gets bid up real quickly.

[ 10-25-2003, 00:47: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them for everything in my .300 Win Mag. The 180 gr .308 variety, that is. They worked on big old boar close up or far away, and killed little deer just fine, too. I didn't need to use a partition, as the solid base penetrated very well. They shot extremely accurately, too. I miss them.