New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info for loading Barnes X in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't have a Barnes manual so need help with 250 gr. Barnes X for my 375 H&H. I understand due to the solid copper bullet that you need to pay attention to pressures. Researched site but no real definitive data.

Thanks

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Are you loading Barnes X or Barnes Triple shocks?
I don't load for 270 grain bullets but I do load 300 grain Barnes Triple Shocks with Reloader 15 powder. I am shooting sub 1" groups and sometimes half that with that combo.
Try contacting the Barnes factory by e-mail, Ty at Barnes is great at getting back to you with answers to your questions.
Good luck!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
In using Triple Shock X-Bullets, I find that the powder charge that works with conventional bullets is right for them as well.

I do have a Barnes reloading manual that gives loads with the X bullets. If there is a specific powder you're interested in, let me know. The top powder charges in that manual generally equal or exceed charges listed in other manuals. If there is a specific powder or two you're interested in let me know.

In my opinion, R-15 is the best powder for the 375 H&H Magnum. For 300 grain X bullets my Barnes manual gives a starting load of 67 grains and a maximum load of 72 grains of RL-15.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all;

Grumulkin:

I am reloading the 250 Barnes X (NOT triple shock X) and would like to use IMR 4064 or IMR 4350.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
Thanks to all;

Grumulkin:

I am reloading the 250 Barnes X (NOT triple shock X) and would like to use IMR 4064 or IMR 4350.

My old Barnes book says, 250gXFB IMR 4064 69.0g - 74.0g @ 2678 - 2872fps beer

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I use 76.5 of RL15

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

That must be hell on prairie dogs! Eeker

Good shootin'!

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay FJOD I'll bite. What's the load? I have had 270 Hornady SP score similar targets.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
DUH! I jumped to the keys before this old computer finished downloading the picture.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 1-4X Leupold on that rifle and I just bought a 2.5-8X Leupold, I want to see what the rifle will do with the bigger scope.

It actually shoots the 260 grain partitions better than the 300 grain TSX's.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both my rifles, Pre-64 70's, have Leupold Vari-X 1.5-5's. The 270 Hornady uses 66.5 grains of 3031 and prints 4 shot groups of 1" or less if I do my part off the bench. 300 Nosler partitions with 68 grains of IMR 4064 does the same thing. Canadian moose and local elk don't seem to care which one hits them. They just fall over and die.