New
Find
Notify
Tools

95gr SST in .243????
 Login/Join

<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
I've got a tack-driving load worked up for my old Rem 788 (only had it a year), but it's using the 75gr V-Max, which I don't consider an optimum whitetail bullet. I bought some factory loaded Winchester 100gr PowerPoints at the Wally World, but then was at a shooting store and ran across a box of Hornady 95gr SSTs.

From what I understand, the 95 SST ought to be a whale of an excellent whitetail bullet. Only problem is that I only have two weeks to work up a load, the range is 40 miles away, and this bullet is new enough that it doesn't show up in any of my many loading manuals. I know how to interpolate and work up a load for a bullet weight that falls between two others, but I'd sure appreciate the help if any of you have worked with this bullet in .243.

Thanks in advance.

<harkm>
posted
Wow, I didn't even realize they had SST's for .243. I will have to get some. Looks like Hornady also added 154 G. 7mm SST's too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take your best "guess" at any accurate 100 grain load. That 95 grain hornady is going to be about as long as most 100 grainers as it slides down the barrel. I've had great luck with i4831 in heavy bullets in a .243 but can imagine that re22, re19, h 4831 or any 4350 would be good also.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote