THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 300 RUM, 200 AccuBond + Retumbo Results: (Warning, it's a book!)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300 RUM, 200 AccuBond + Retumbo Results: (Warning, it's a book!)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Jon what I meant by "screwed the pooch" was that the scirocco, because of its design, does not make a better all around bullet like the accubond makes.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
200gr. Accu-Bond .300RUM 250 yd. = 6x7 Elk. One shot drop with bullet entering uphill diagonal at bottom of last rib and bloodshot under front of off shoulder but not exiting. At 0 deg. F. and a long haul out I didn't do any digging for the bullet. This uphill shot would be tough on any bullet considering the path the bullet had to take, plenty of blood was coming from the nose in the few second the elk lived, (dropped in tracks), letting me assume the bullet traveled through the lungs. This was the only shot that was going to present itself and with confidence in the gun, bullet and ability, I made it without hesitation. I'm not sure how to attach a picture to this post or I would have.

Posts: 3 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

200gr. Accu-Bond .300RUM 250 yd. = 6x7 Elk. One shot drop with bullet entering uphill diagonal at bottom of last rib and bloodshot under front of off shoulder but not exiting. At 0 deg. F. and a long haul out I didn't do any digging for the bullet. This uphill shot would be tough on any bullet considering the path the bullet had to take, plenty of blood was coming from the nose in the few second the elk lived, (dropped in tracks), letting me assume the bullet traveled through the lungs. This was the only shot that was going to present itself and with confidence in the gun, bullet and ability, I made it without hesitation. I'm not sure how to attach a picture to this post or I would have.

Send me the pics and I will post it for you.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This is the aforementioned elk. Good Job bogeyman!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull, Bogeyman. Congrats!

My dad finally had some luck on elk after his tag had turned into a cow tag. So the 225 now has an elk to its credit. Wasn't a tough bullet test though--he shot her in the neck. So, obviously it did its business and exited.

Here's an interesting comparison I did in wood again:

The two on the right are 225 338 cal AccuBond and Northfork both launched at 3000 fps. The one on the left is a 30 cal 200 AB. I made it tough on that one using one of my 3250 fps loads.

The Northfork retained 89% of its weight, the 225 AB 75% and the 200 72%. They all penetrated exactly the same distance. The Northfork had the biggest wound channel--especially toward the end where it was noticably larger than the other two. That wasn't surprising since it expanded to a larger diameter. But even though it did, the extra weight retention allowed it to penetrate the same.

Interestingly, the 200 made just as big a hole as the Northfork for about the first 1/3 of the penetration--the added velocity at work I guess.

You certainly can't fault the Northfork's terminal performance. I'd judge it to be better than the AccuBond based on this test--which keep in mind is only one test.

Back to the Scirocco:

From the left, 130 .270 cal Scirocco, 180 30 Cal Scirocco and a 225 338 cal AccuBond and Northfork for comparison.

While the Northfork can expand to a larger diameter and still penetrate the same as the AccuBond, I haven't found this to be the case with the Scirocco. As you can see, the 270 cal is wider accross than the 338 Northfork and pretty close in frontal area. The 30 cal easily has a bigger frontal area than the 338 Northfork. Both dwarf the area of the 338 AccuBond. That's some serious expansion for smaller calibers. Naturally, they don't penetrate as far.

Like I said, that's neither good nor bad depending upon what you want from a bullet. Just different. But I do agree with Pop that the AccuBond is a better all-around bullet. That's one of the reasons I chose it.

Here's a couple pics of the 225 (on the right) again with another 200 from a prior test.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Jon...any luck with reloder 25? And what is your shooting/recovery box composed of?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't try RL 25. I think it would be a good powder for this bullet but I'm pretty happy with the Retumbo load.

I don't really have a box I shoot the bullets into. These were just fired into dry cottonwood. About a 12-14" diameter tree. These big rounds will go through the first piece and be in the middle of the second somewhere. I recover them by choppin' wood the old fashioned way.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Didn't try RL 25. I think it would be a good powder for this bullet but I'm pretty happy with the Retumbo load.

I don't really have a box I shoot the bullets into. These were just fired into dry cottonwood. About a 12-14" diameter tree. These big rounds will go through the first piece and be in the middle of the second somewhere. I recover them by choppin' wood the old fashioned way.

God Bless man. What patience!