Find
Notify
Tools

Which Collet Style Bullet Puller?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My local gun store sold me a kinetic bullet puller that doesn't fit a 416 Rigby case. I am now in the market for a collet style bullet puller. Which one? It will go on an RCBS Ammomaster II press.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a RCBS collet puller that works great, I purchased it from a friend at a bargain price.
Looking at the Hornady puller with the lever I believe I would purchase it as it would be a bit more user friendly.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady and it works great on all but the 45 cal bullets. The collet on the 45s is too thin at the lower lips and the bottom edge of the collet breaks off when trying to pull a lightly crimped bullet.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hornady works without any noticeable damage to the bullets.

Success is 99% determination.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT:
I too have an RCBS AmmoMaster reloading press. Up until I began loading BP cartridges, I had always used the kinetic bullet pullers. I decided early on that it could be very unwise to use a kinetic puller with BP cartridges. I bought an RCBS collet puller & could not be happier. Once the body is purchased, the only other thing you need is the caliber specific collet. I've found them to be faster & far less messy than the kinetic style. I don't know who else besides RCBS that makes them but I'd guess that any of them would work well. I think you'll like it if you get one. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I have an RCBS bullet puller that's absolutely minty with a 7mm mag collet you can have cheap. Midway sells em for $15 or so without collet, I'll send you this one for $10 with the collet. I can do paypal or you can send a check.

Let me know.

Roger

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
I had the RCBS one and now have the Hornady style. I like the RCBS one, although it takes longer than the Hornady style to pull a large number of bullets. Consequently, I sold the RCBS unit and kept the Hornady one.

I can't comment on the 45 caliber issue mentioned above. I have a collet, but I have had the need to use it.

It is worth mentioning that when I first got the Hornady unit, the shaft was about 1/4 inch too long and it wouldn't work at all. I had to send it back to the factory and they fixed it without a hitch. It is interesting to note that something was cut on a NCM was off by that much.

RobertD

RobertD

I prefer my fish raw, my meat extra rare, and P.E.T.A on the BBQ. Any questions?

(Pork Enhanced Through Alcohol)

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA
SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote