Tools

HELP SHIPPING POWDER
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I need some help shipping gun powder.

Here is the situation...

I have a friend in CA who has about 25 lbs of various gun powders. He wants to ship them to me as I do all the reloading for both of us.

Who can a private citizen use to ship gun powder from one person to another?? From California to Maine....

I know the post office won't do it.

UPS? Fed Ex??

Thanks for your help.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Honkey:

I had this same problem. Jeffeosso was running low on his favorite powder and I found an eight pound container of Ramshot TAC for him. However, I was never able to ship it down to him. A private citizen can ship loaded ammunition if it is properly marked and it must travel by ground but you cannot ship smokeless powder via UPS of FedEx without a special license and it is indeed a "special" license. My local gun store couldn't ship it. I even went out to the local Hornaday plant and they could not ship it for me either. Now, I know some guys get around this by boxing it up and telling the shipper that it is ammunition but I just didn't want to take the risk.

If you want to ship it, you either have to find someone who has a license to ship smokeless powder or be willing to break the law by lying to the shipper about what's in the package.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try here:

UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS only accepts hazmat by contract. FedEx will accept hazmat, but you have to have a DOT license.

You cannot package/label the powder yourself and ship it unless you are licensed by the DOT. You're going to have to find someone licensed willing to do that for you. I don't know if there is a service that can do that for you, I kind of looked and can't seem to find one.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just find some one that can relay it to a buddy part of the way across country.
Basically make your powder like a hitchhiker or the pony express.
Once it reaches a buddy that buddy can contact someone else traveling that can get it to one of his buddies. It might take a few weeks but it should be do able with enough buddies.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just find some one that can relay it to a buddy part of the way across country.

Know any truckers or traveling salesman going that way?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How tight are the bus lines? It was a long time ago, but someone my brother knew shipped a case of PE by bus.