Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet puller... any suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I need a bullet puller. Is there any particular one you would recommend? I need them for a variety of calibers from 270 to 375. I'd like one for a 470 also, but I don't see one readily available.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's cam operated puller is the fastest and most convenient I have used.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I traded into an RCBS, but would likely go the Hornady route if buying new. Collet pullers are definately the way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, how exactly do you adjust your Hornady? I have had sporadic results getting it set up to grip the bullet with the 'cam' effect.

Thanks--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try and have it grip the bullet as close to the crimp as possible. That seems to make it less likely to slip off the nose of the bullet.
Lead cored bullets are easier to pull than monometals. Usually it doesn't cam all the way way over. I end up just pulling sideways on the handle a bit. I tried using the wrong size on some bullets a while back and busted the tips off a collet. I now have the entire set.
I also have a Forster puller. It works very well also, but is slower than the Hornady set up.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would definitely get a collet puller. All I've used is the hammer type and believe me, sometimes it takes quite a few licks to get the bullet out. If you intend on pulling quite a few rounds the collet would be faster.

Question for you collet puller owners:

Does the collet ever damage the Bullets?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady and yes it will crease the bullets sometimes. I have not found it affects bullet flight much, but don't use pulled bullets for much other than plinking or initial scope sighting in at 100 yards.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is another thread concerning the use of a kinetic bullet puller vs a collet bullet puller.It is up to you to make the right choice...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the collet type and it does not mark the bullets...I think my are Foresters..I also have a plastic hammer that I use for one or two cases as no set up time is involved..I toss the little case holding spring gizzie in the trash (its a royal pain) and use a bullet seater from my press for whatever caliber I am pulling....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote