Find
Notify
Tools

blown primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Son has 280 Remington 700.

This weekend we had a couple of blown primers and excessive head pressure. Shooting Nosler 140 gr and H4831 57.5 I have shot the 150 grain Nosler with 57.5 and no problems

I pulled the Nosler 140 bullet and it weighed 140 gr and checked the scale weight and got 57 to 57.5. OPINIONS APPRECIATED.

Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Starting with the obscure; brass too long and not releasing the bullet as it should.
Or this is a different rifle than you loaded for with the 150’s?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
How old is the reloaded ammo, it is not unknown for some bullet case combinations to have the bullets 'weld' into the neck over a period of time increasing the neck tension and sending pressures way up. I had this occur with some 6.5-06 ammo where I saw flattened primers and some incipient case head separations from ammo that came with the rifle and had been loaded for some long period. My RCBS bullet puller couldn't pull the bullets, had to sacrifice the bullets using sidecutter pliers and my reloading press to pull the bullets. Even then I cut some bullets in two having to grip them so tight with the pliers.

Didn't have this problem with same cases, bullets powder and charge with freshly loaded cartridges. I have read of others having similar issues with older loaded ammo.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brand and age of brass? I've had some brass that was so soft (or so I think!) it'd blow primmers at the first reload with one of my "standard" loads.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If the 140gr Nosler is a partition, you are loaded pretty hot.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my simulation software package, 57.5 of H4831 behind a 140 gr. NPAR delivers 2843 fps at 48,500 psi. The same charge using a 150 NPAR results in 2835 fps and 53,300 psi.
If IMR 4831 were used, the pressure increases by about 6000 psi.

If H4350 were used in the load by mistake, it would generate 66,000 psi with 140 grain bullet.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Remington Brass I have 80's H4831 and primers of the same age. I have shot strictly H4831 in Remington 7 mag, 270 and 280 and never had this problem before.
270 and 150 and 280 and 150 and no problems since early 80's the 57.5 was used in both rifles and no problems 150 nosler bt and old lead bt and the 150 in the 7 mag and 67.5 all with good results under an inch groups.

I weighed the bullets and the powder in a couple of shells and 140 and 57.5. Little hot but is that enough to blow the primer out of the pocket and show pressure on the head of the shell? These shells were loaded in the last 3 years.

My son mixed bullets so these problems could be for a different group of bullets. Should I pull the bullets and reload them or ?
Thanks Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I weighed the bullets and the powder in a couple of shells and 140 and 57.5. Little hot but is that enough to blow the primer out of the pocket and show pressure on the head of the shell? These shells were loaded in the last 3 years.

use Remington Brass I have 80's H4831 and primers of the same age. I have shot strictly H4831 in Remington 7 mag, 270 and 280 and never had this problem before

My son mixed bullets so these problems could be for a different group of bullets. Should I pull the bullets and reload them or ?

It sounds like a MESS.
I would start over especially if you have mixed components. "bullets"
What about over all length. Are you seating the bullets long or to book values?
The bullets could be stuck in the neck of the brass as well, that will cause pressure spikes.
Blown primers to me is a very good indicator that I have over pressure loads.
what rifle are you using? Is it a semi auto?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pulling loads apart that seem to be stuck tight.

Adjust the seater die to push the bullet back
in the case a bit to break them loose. It shouldn't take more than .020" further seating.

You should never need to use side cutters to pull or ruin bullets.

Try this on a few then use your hammer puller.

they should come out then.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen Read the info provided. The very first line is my son has a 280 Rem in a Rem 700 . That is a very strong bolt action. Why are we asking if the rifle is a semi auto ?? To blow primers you need high pressure. To achieve excessive pressure you need
1/ to much of a perscribed powder
2/ a heavier bullet than perscribed for the type of powder and charge used
3/ The wrong powder or a mixture of powders.
The gentleman has pulled some loads apart and the powder charges weighed are reasonable so I doubt that is the problem. He has indicated the son mixed bullets?? Not sure why but if cleaning out part boxes of bullets and loading them it would be easy enough to slip a couple 160 gr or even 175 gr bullets into the mix. That could be the problem.I doubt they used the wrong powder to load ammo. All the loads would be excessive pressure.To have just a couple makes me think that they could have some mixed powder. Some guys have more than one can of powder on the bench at one time. When they finish loading and dump the powder measure back into the powder can they could dump it into the wrong can. If a faster burning powder got dumped into a can of 4831 the next time cartridges were loaded there could be an issue.The powder would not be mixed or blended evenly so you could get a bunch of the faster burning powder in 2 or 3 shells. That will blow primers

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for injecting some common sense, Snowman.

There has been no response to the issue raised as to whether the cases might be excessively long, thus crimping the case mouth against the bullet when the bolt is closed. This is rarely the problem causing pressure excursions, but should be checked.

Bullets being chemically or mechanically "welded" to the neck of the brass is a popular myth but is hardly the problem. If your bullet seater can move the bullet, then 50,000 psi of gas pressure can move it a lot easier.

It would also be rare for the primer pockets to be loose and for the flash holes to be excessively large, which could result in a blown primer.

The charge is not an excessive one for any 140/150 grain bullet in a .280. I think that Snowman's hypotheses of either mixed powder or having a few inadvertently heavier bullets mixed in have some chance of being the culprit.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder from the 1980's? and you don't think that might be a bit old?

The shooting community is in total denial about gunpowder deterioration, but I would stop using 1980's gunpowder if established loads start showing pressure indications.

But, I really don't know your loads or your gun, or anything. It does sound as though you are running a maximum load, so before doing anything, cut your load by 1.5 grains, and continue cutting, till the pressure signs go away.

If they don't, maybe you got a burn rate instability issue with your powder. I will recommend before cutting loads, go get so new gunpowder. If you have old deteriorated gunpowder, which is causing pressure indications, you may blow up the gun before you are finished with load development.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I routinely shoot powder from the 1970s, and have lots of ammo from WW2 that works perfectly.
1980 powder is new to me.
Not saying the OP didn't use deteriorated powder, but it isn't age that does it. And it smells terrible like acid, not good like ether.
OP has other issues. Some still will go to a book max load and shoot it; not understanding that all rifles are different and you have to work up to a max load.
Fortunately it is near impossible to actually blow up a 700. And I have removed barrels from two that were blown with pistol powder. Both at the same outing; user only noticed that the bolts would not open. The three rings of steel ad does work; although it ruins the bolts and receivers.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Not saying the OP didn't use deteriorated powder, but it isn't age that does it. And it smells terrible like acid, not good like ether.
OP has other issues. Some still will go to a book max load and shoot it; not understanding that all rifles are different and you have to work up to a max load.

Here is powder from the 1970's

The shooting community is 132 years behind the time in understanding that gunpowder deteriorates, and when it deteriorates, it becomes dangerous. The shooting community, and that is you included, is in active denial about this.

I know you won’t, but you can search www.dtic.mil about propellant stability and find all sorts of interesting documents on the stability of gunpowder. This is one

ROLE OF DIPHENYLAMINE AS A STABILIZER IN PROPELLANTS;ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY OF DIPHENYLAMINE IN PROPELLANTS

III. INTRODUCTION

Nitrocellulose-base propellants are essentially unstable materials that decompose on aging with the evolution of oxides of nitrogen. The decomposition is autocatalytic and can lead to failure of the ammunition or disastrous explosions.

IV. STUDY

A. ROLE OF DIPHENYLAMINE AS A STABILIZER IN PROPELLANTS

The use of diphenylamine to suppress the autocatalytic decomposition of nitrocellulose contained in propellants was apparently first proposed by Nobel in a German patent in 1889 (48). Shortly afterwards, Germany in great secrecy adopted the use of diphenylamine for most propellants. However, other countries soon were using diphenylamine for this purpose and by about 1910 its use was fairly universal. Berger in 1912 (5) was one of the first investigators to make a detailed study of the stabilization of propellants by DPA. He conducted experiments with the following propellants: a series containing DPA as a stabilizer, a series containing amyl alcohol as a stabilizer, and a series containing no stabilizer. He stored the propellants at temperatures up to 70°C and then tested them by a 110°C heat stability test. He found that the propellants containing DPA were much superior in stability to the other propellants. He also
determined the nitrogen content of the nitrocellulose before and after the storage and found that it decreased less for the DPA stabilized propellants than the other propellants.

Here is another, with the percent stabilizer criteria used.

Ammunition Surveillance Procedures SB 742-1

https://armypubs.army.mil/Prod....aspx?PUB_ID=1001119

Chapter 13 Propellant and Propelling Charges
page 13-1
WARNING
Nitrocellulose-based propellant can become thermally unstable as the age. The normal aging process of the propellants involves deterioration of the nitrocellulose with an accompanying generation of heat. At some point, the propellant may reach a state where heat is generated faster than it can be dissipated. The accumulation of heat can lead to combustion (autoignition). Chemical stabilizers are added to propellants to slow the aging process. In time, the stabilizer levels will drop to a point where the remaining effective stabilizer (RES) is not sufficient to prevent an accelerating rate of decomposition. When this point is reached, the propellant may autoigniet, with possible catastrophic results to property and life. Monitoring the stability level of each propellant lot is essential for continued safe storage.

Page 13-5 , Table 13.2 Propellant Stability Codes.

Stability Category A 0.30 or more Percent Effective Stabilizer
Acceptable stabilizer loss: safe for continued storage

C 0.29-0.20 Percent Effective Stabilizer
Significant stabilizer loss. Lot does not represent an immediate hazard, but is approaching a potentially hazardous stability condition. Loss of stabilizer does adversely affect function in an uploaded configuration. Disposition instructions will be furnished by NAR. All stability category “C” assets on the installation must be reported in writing…
One year after becoming stability category “C” a sample of the bulk propellant lot or the bulk-packed component lot will be retested. If the lot has not deteriorated to category “D”, it will be retested each year until it has been expended, or it has deteriorated to category “D”, at which point it will be demilitarized within 60 days.

D Less than 0.20 Percent Effective Stabilizer
Unacceptable stabilizer loss. Lots identified as stability category “D” present a potential safety hazard and are unsafe for continued storage as bulk, bulk-packed components , or as separate loading propellant chargers. Bulk propellant, bulk –packed components and separate loading propelling charges will be demilitarized within 60 days after notification of category “D” status.

Your old, acid smelling gunpowder, if that stuff autocombusts, you will be lucky if you wake up in the middle of the night with the house on fire. A surprising number of people asphyxiate without waking up in house fires.

This family died in their sleep when a kerosene heater burnt their mobile home down.

what is not shown is Grandpa. Grandpa rushed in the trailer to save the grandchildren and his daughter in law. He is buried elsewhere. If you notice Dad died almost one year later. Don't have the story on that.

There are more references, which you will discard, that show old gunpowder has burn rate instability issues, that regularly blow up firearms. But you don’t believe that, do you? Make a resolve to shoot it all your old smelly gunpowder. Take your time but start a regular schedule. Heck, smallpox was only 16% fatal, and that was considered one of the worst. Not everything toxic kills the first time, but keep on trying, and I am certain you will experience something unpleasant.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is not enough information to hazard a guess on what has happened.

Each rifle is different.

Was this load developed specifically in this rifle?

If so, what components did you change?

Brass is suspect if this load was used before with other brass.

Funny enough, I seem to notice there is a lot of variation in brass lately from several makers!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
There is not enough information to hazard a guess on what has happened.

Each rifle is different.

Was this load developed specifically in this rifle?

If so, what components did you change?

Brass is suspect if this load was used before with other brass.

Funny enough, I seem to notice there is a lot of variation in brass lately from several makers!

About not enough information, I will agree on that. But when the user is shooting gunpowder over 20 years old, the possibility that over pressures are being caused by deteriorated gunpowder should not be discarded due to the shooting communities angnotology https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnotology on this subject.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I routinely use powder which is 30-40 years old.

Never had any problems.

If the powder has deteriorated, it is very easy to see.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I understand that word. But I usually base decisions on empirical scientific data, not hyperbole and exaggeration. (I do agree with one thing; many in the shooting community do have some beliefs and theories based on thin air.)
What is missing from this analysis is any evidence that the onset of deterioration of smokeless propellant results in higher pressures.
I submit that the resulting pressure of using powder that is in any stage of deterioration, (and it is easy to tell, as Saeed said, will be lower, not higher. Are their any studies of that? I have never seen one. All the rifle blow ups and blown primers I have seen, were made with new powder.
But the mere fact that powder is/was old, means nothing. As I said, I have ammo from WW2 and it shoots perfectly. Come one over and I'll show you.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have 8x57 ammo made in Egypt, 113 years ago.

I have taken powder out of them, and loaded it in several cartridges.

Including 6mm PPC USA and 308 Winchester.

Shoots great too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id pull the bullets, and dump the rest..Get 100 new brass, a pound of new powder (I like H414,or ww760)
and start over..Its just not worth the aggrivation..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I understand that word. But I usually base decisions on empirical scientific data, not hyperbole and exaggeration. (I do agree with one thing; many in the shooting community do have some beliefs and theories based on thin air.)
What is missing from this analysis is any evidence that the onset of deterioration of smokeless propellant results in higher pressures.
I submit that the resulting pressure of using powder that is in any stage of deterioration, (and it is easy to tell, as Saeed said, will be lower, not higher. Are their any studies of that? I have never seen one. All the rifle blow ups and blown primers I have seen, were made with new powder.

I do not think there is any research or information that you would accept, however, get on DTIC and do some research:

INVESTIGATION OF THE BALLISTIC AND CHEMICAL STABILITY OF 7.62MM AMMUNITION LOADED WITH BALL AND IMR PROPELLANT

Frankfort Arsenal 1962

3. Effects of Accelerated Storage Propellant and Primer Performance

To determine the effect of accelerated isothermal storage upon propellant and primer performance, sixty cartridges from each of lots E (WC 846) and G (R 1475) were removed from 150F storage after 26 and 42 weeks, respectively. The bullets were then removed from half the cartridges of each lot and from an equal number of each lot previously stored at 70F. The propellants were then interchanged, the bullets re-inserted, and the cases recrimped. Thus, four variations of stored components were obtained with each lot.

Chamber pressures yielded by ammunition incorporating these four variations were as follows. These values represent averages of 20 firings.

the hotter it is, the faster the stuff breaks down

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I routinely use powder which is 30-40 years old.

Never had any problems.

If the powder has deteriorated, it is very easy to see.

Do you shoot deteriorated gunpowder. You know, stuff that looks like this?

or this?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Pulling loads apart that seem to be stuck tight.

Adjust the seater die to push the bullet back
in the case a bit to break them loose. It shouldn't take more than .020" further seating.

You should never need to use side cutters to pull or ruin bullets.

Try this on a few then use your hammer puller.

they should come out then.

George

George, my example of using side cutter pliers to pull bullets was to show that for whatever reason the 6.5 calibre bullets were relatively stuck fast in the necks. How I got them out (using sidecutters) is irrelevant, sure I could have tried seating them deeper then using my RCBS puller which has never failed to pull any other bullet I have used it on, but the point I was making is that I was getting flattened primers and incipient case head failure after firing this ammo which had been loaded specifically for the rifle by the previous owner. The powder charges were exactly as listed for these loads and the bullets all 140gr as per the load data.

Where I had to use extreme force on my loading press while clamping the bullets with sidecutters to pull them from the cases showed without doubt the bullets had 'welded' in the case necks. Why I don't know, maybe the type of lube that was used when loading the cartridges and it was left in the necks.

I only ever use Imperial wax for lubing the outside of cases and Imperial neck lube (graphite) for lubing inside case necks. I have never had issues with bullet welding in all the decades I have reloaded.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Still don't see a study based on age; just high temperature storage of 71 C, which for us mortals, is 159.8 F. If someone is storing their powder at that temp, or they are loading obviously deteriorated powder as in the pictures above, then they deserve what they get.
I am talking about only one variable; OLD powder, stored at more reasonable temperatures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still don't see a study based on age; just high temperature storage of 71 C, which for us mortals, is 159.8 F. If someone is storing their powder at that temp, or they are loading obviously deteriorated powder as in the pictures above, then they deserve what they get.
I am talking about only one variable; OLD powder, stored at more reasonable temperatures.

Deny, deny, deny.

So, how do agencies with great stores of gunpowder, or buying great quantities of gunpowder determine whether their lifetime requirements are met? Or, how do they determine the useable lifetime left?

Would you procure millions of dollars of gunpowder, and left it sit around for 20 years, and only after it met its 20 year lifetime, pay the contractor and load the stuff?

You would expect that someone would have figured out, decades ago, a way to conduct accelerated life testing.

But, if you believe gunpowder is immortal and pristine, I can see how the concept of accelerated life testing would not come to mind.

TM 9-1300-214 Military Explosives

Section7-7 Nitrocellulose

q. Nitrocellulose, even when highly purified, is much less stable than most of the noninitiating military high explosives, as judged by elevated temperature test. It appears to undergo very slow decomposition even at ordinary temperatures, the rate of decomposition increasing 3.71 times with each increase in temperature of 10 ºC. The presence of moisture increases the rate of decomposition considerably and the presence of free acid or alkali has an even more pronounced effect.

r. The great care taken in the purification of nitrocellulose is due to the necessity of removing impurities that are much less stable than nitrocellulose itself. Cellulose sulfate is unstable, with respect to heat and moisture.

Heat had been the most common method of aging and then determining the stability of nitrocellulose based propellants. Based on what I have seen, the semiconductor revolution has created fast gas chromatography analysis, but those machines are $250,000 to half a million. Most of the older data is based on real samples put in a test tube, heated to 65 F, and if the sample fumes in 60 days, the whole lot is pulled and sold to silly civilians who think it is day old bread!

1973 Picatinny Arsenal report AD-763-879 Prediction of Safe Life of Propellants states
quote:
Recently the NATO countries were in need of an evaluation procedure that would assure acceptor countries that propellants received from others would have a proven chemical stability for a given period of time when stored at ambient conditions. After many stability tests were reviews and evaluated through the conduct of round robins to insure that strict analytical agreement could be realized among world wide participating laboratories, the above mentioned method for the determination of available stabilizer content was accepted, with the establishment of suitable cut-off points. It was assume that if a propellant withstood a heating period of 60 days at 65.5 ˚C., without undue depletion of available stabilizer content, then that propellant would have a proven chemical stability for 5 years storage at ambient conditions

I don't know if you will try to look at MIL STD 286, but there are lots more test methods than just heating in an oven. It is very hard to direct link anything in a Government Database, but hundreds of pages of stability tests are in this document. I have provided the title, and maybe different links to get to it.

Mil Std 286 Propellants, Solid: Sampling, Examination and Testing

https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsSearch.aspx

https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qs...x?ident_number=35679

Now why would anyone be writing these documents, testing this stuff, if it never goes bad, never ages? Obviously, it does go bad.

The shooting community is 140 years behind the times on this, so it is pre color circles, pre numbers, and pre ABC's when it comes to the lifetime of gunpowder.

I found this from two symposiums on DTIC, one was from 1969, and the other, 1970. And looky, they are removing 30 year ammunition from inventory because their tests indicate the ammunition is approaching its instability limits.

So, what do you have, that is not sarcasm, is not based on magical thinking, or the ignorance argument. The ignorance argument is "I don't know", "I have not heard", etc. Ignorance is only proof of ignorance, not existence. Make a case that gunpowder is unchanging, safe, etc, for eternity based on the physical laws of the universe. Where is your test data?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m glad that this caused good discussion amongst experts.

I’ve been reading a long since it was my son’s problem. As I have stated this is Remington brass one reload
I had missed placed the seven rounds that I had in my car and cannot find them but I took the box they came from all Nosler ballistic tip bullets were pulled And all the powder was Discarded I’ve took the press and did a resize to remove the primers, Brass checed for length and all fell within the standard for a 280 cartridge, The bullets were checked and Weighed and I found I had 3 150 gr and 15 140 gr noslers
The only thing found was that the base one of the 150 grain bullets had corrosion on it And all the other looked within normal limits.

Someone asked And I use a pupper that fits on my old press the pulls the bullets

I am not sure what was wrong because my son and I shot five or six times and you would get a normal fire and then you would get on the cartridge head showing excessive pressure in a popped out primer Not sure on accuracy though they had been accurate earlier I had my son shoot a gun at waist high to avoid any eye or face blowback.

Next time at the lease I will look for those seven bullets that were wrapped in duct tape and put to the side to see what they show if they were not thrown away

As far as powder used up until I bought a 7mm-08 which seems to like H414 for equivalent accuracy of the Hornady Whitetail hunter bullet and 140 gr that I’ll shoot one group or close

Since I started reloading in 1982 all I’ve ever used is H 4831 and I still have a couple of pounds of it and it still smells and looks good with mag primers from late 80’s recently a friend from the board sold me 3 pounds of 4831SC and a 1000 older magnum Rifle primers. How old. Tag. Target 19.95$.

Since I’ve looked at all the variables I’m having to think that my son had some older 150 rounds with a compresses load of 57.5 gr of H4831 which is the load I worked up in the 80’s for my 270 and 280 and I used 67.5 for the 7 mag. All the using nosler 150 gr bullets. I love the old nosler bullets with the lead tips in the early non partion bullets and the partion bullets And all shot the same .5 inch group.

I have tried a box of 140 to see if I can get a little better velocity but I’ve gotten where I don’t like them as your ballistic tips because they do not perform well out past 200 for me I was getting a kill but I Was not getting a hole on the backside for a long shot with a blood trail to follow Since bullet tenant to the deflect down and not out the back side

Guess my son needs the number of these boxes that he has to be able to rotate and not mix them. He likes to hunt but not a reloader Nor serious shooter
Have a happy Thanksgiving thanks again Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:

The only thing found was that the base one of the 150 grain bullets had corrosion on it And all the other looked within normal limits.

I am not sure what was wrong because my son and I shot five or six times and you would get a normal fire and then you would get on the cartridge head showing excessive pressure in a popped out primer Not sure on accuracy though they had been accurate earlier I had my son shoot a gun at waist high to avoid any eye or face blowback.

Jim

The deniers here will never, ever, agree that old and deteriorated gunpowder is dangerous, but it sure is. And corrosion in the case, is proof positive that the amount of stabilizer in the gunpowder is depleted, and, NO2 is attacking the brass, and copper!

this was mine, and I dumped that keg.

I saw the corrosion around the primer and pulled the bullet. Lookey, lookey, lots of corrosion

bullets I pulled from ball ammunition, before I got educated on this topic

this is not good, this is someone else's picture

hard to believe, that some people would have thought this stuff was safe to shoot

The thing is, institutionalized, organized, and ideological ignorance will get you hurt. It is my opinion the denial of the shooting community comes from a denial of death. These very same deniers really don't think they are doing to die. And it only makes sense that if you are immortal, so must be your ammunition. Mountains will erode away to the sea, stars blink out, but Mr Forever and his ammunition are going to be around to infinity. It is all denial, denial, denial. It may be intrinsic to human nature. What did the first sentient being do when it became aware of its mortality? It went into denial!

However, denial will get you hurt. Incidentally, the lifetime of gunpowder is "indeterminate". That is unknowable. It fails when it fails.

Army Not Producing Enough Ammunition

National Defense Magazine May 2003

Regardless of what the Army decides to do with its industrial base, the fundamental issue does not change: the Army needs to produce more war reserve ammunition, Naughton said. Time is running out, he said. “Most of the ammunition in the stockpile today was built 20 years ago during the Cold War buildup.” Most rounds are designed to have a shelf life of 20 years. “We are outside the envelope of the shelf life on 40 percent or more of our existing ammunition. The rest is rapidly approaching the end of its shelf life.”

Ammunition does not “go bad” overnight, after it reaches a certain age, but “once it’s over 20 years old, the reliability rapidly degrades,” said Naughton. Within a few years, it will become increasingly difficult to shoot it. “You can predict that you’ll lose 7-8 percent of the ammo after the 20-year mark.”*

To replace the obsolete rounds, the Army would have to produce 100,000 tons of war reserve ammunition a year for the next seven years. Past that point, it would need 50,000 tons to 60,000 tons a year to sustain the stockpile. That represents about “half the level of the Cold War buildup,” he said.

* I think what is meant, 7-8 percent per year after 20 years.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen all the above myself.

But have no idea what is causing them.

I know for a fact that the RCBS original case lube, the very sticky one, causes this to happen.

I have had ammo brought to me that has the primers corroded, due to moisture, loads of them.

The powder was never affected.

I had half a truck load of various AK47 ammo brought here.

It was from different manufacturers, all had gotten wet and the primers were corroded.

We pulled all the bullets off.

The powders were in various formats, stick, ball, etc.

We mixed the lot together, and used it for 223 practice ammo.

Worked great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol I resemble that remark. 1980 a friend gave me all his RCBS reloading gear. I still use a old pad of that old sticky lube.

The early 80s I found H4831 shot great in all my guns and not changed the loads at all. Nowadays it seems that those loads that were in the books back then are “too hot” for today’s loads. I guess that could be the problem but never have a problem with other ammo that I have loaded.

I yes my son got some of this ammo wet but other than that one corroded bullet I don’t know unless I found the other loans.

I will talk to him about keeping the ammo straight and make sure he doesn’t have any other old ammo That might have gone bad for some reason.

Everybody have a happy Thanksgiving. Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I toss all that kind of stuff, the whole lot, bothers me not...nor would I shoot it under any circumstances, its not even worth a mention IMO..
dump the whole mess, by new primers, powder and bullets and go shoot with gusto, that other stuff would likely give me an uncontrolable well earned FLINCH....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also is it possible the son’s rifle has excessive headspace?

I brought an old 1903 Springfield.

Factory new ammo. Blown primers and strange looking case bases- very excessive headspace per the gunsmith.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YEs headspace could well be, as is too much powder for that particular firearm, tight bore, are all options.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen all the above myself.

But have no idea what is causing them.

A quote from a different forum:

Verdigris, a.k.a. copper(II) acetate. Indicates the presence of a weak acid. The weak acid (low molar acetic or nitric) breaks down the copper and leaves verdigris behind. The grey fluffy stuff is zinc being liberated from the brass. Bad powder. Not good. Build a campfire and toss it in.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...page-2#post-12128045

quote:
I had half a truck load of various AK47 ammo brought here.

It was from different manufacturers, all had gotten wet and the primers were corroded.

We pulled all the bullets off.

The powders were in various formats, stick, ball, etc.

We mixed the lot together, and used it for 223 practice ammo.

Worked great.

What you are doing, mixing various powders of various vintages is very risky. Do you know the amount of stabilizer left in the powder? Do you know the remaining shelf life of your powder? Do you know what the pressure curve looks like?

At best you know the age of the powder, based on case head stamps, and that is about it.

Ever heard the old saying “There are old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no old pilots” That came from an era when pilots were typically thrill seeking individuals and aviation was dangerous. Twenty percent fatality rates were the going rate during WW2 flight schools, and then the losses during that war would not be tolerated today. A gentleman I worked with was a bombardier/navigator over Germany, he said half his flight school class perished.

A cruder way to express this is ”Just because you ain’t dead yet, that don’t make you immortal”

Anyone remember the time when everyone smoked in the office? I do, it was horrible. Smokers in small conference rooms made the air so thick I got headaches. Their desks full of cigarette butts and ash trays. I came home, took off my clothing, and the shirts and pants stank of cigarette smoke. It was fruitless arguing about smoking causing cancer or emphysema. Every smoker had a story about 90 year relatives who smoked every day of their lives. However, what I noticed, these one pack a day types, few of them made it to 60, I don’t remember any surviving to 70. The typical experience was Duke retired, and then some years later I would ask, “what happened to Duke, anyone heard how he is doing”? And the reply was, “Duke came down with cancer, it spread like wild fire, and he died in three weeks after diagnosis”.

Just last week, I asked my Barber how he was doing. The week before he was in the hospital, he has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He has weak lungs and a weak heart. He is also amazingly old for a smoker at 79. And he is not going to quit smoking. The discussion more or less lead to the question of how many cigarettes does it take to catch cancer. Maybe the smart people here can give that number. If the smart people here tell me a person has to smoke 300,000 cigarettes to catch cancer, next time I see him, I can tell him, stop smoking at cigarette 299,999 and you will be fine. Then we can figure out how many cigarettes he has smoked to date. A quick calculation, based on twelve cigarettes a day from the age of 16, comes out to 275,940 cigarettes, so there is the chance Mr Barber is below the 300,000 cigarette death threshold.

And what year do men come down with prostate cancer? I find prostate cancer exams uncomfortable, and want to stop having them till the year I come down with prostate cancer.

People have this expectation that risky behavior immediately results in catastrophic failure. Not so, just keep playing the odds, and one day, the house wins everything.

You know about Captain Edward Smith? He was a sea Captain. Looking at his career, starting with his first White Star Command in 1887, he had been steaming full speed through ice flows at night for 25 years. If the ice berg season is April through August, five months, and Captain Smith was charging through the bergs twice a month, then he avoided ice bergs 250 times in his career. Until the last passage when his ship, the Titanic, crashed into a berg and sank. I am 100% certain Captain Smith thought charging through ice flows at night was not dangerous, because he had never hit a berg in 250 trips, and he had posted look outs. And that was the prevailing attitude. But it was risky to charge through ice flows at night with a ship whose turn radius and speed was such, it could not move out of a path of an ice berg visible from only a few miles away.

This is from a recent post from someone who had real experience at a military demilling facility:

Green is usually copper corrosion.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...page-2#post-12128069

Bullet jackets (AKA 'gilding metal') are NOT the exact same materiel as brass cases. There is significantly more copper in the bullet jackets. The slightest moisture (or other corrosive material) will create a primitive battery with tiny amounts of current flowing between the different alloys.

The acids used to make nitrocellulose (nitric and sulfuric) are never completely removed.
The tiny amounts remaining are one of the things that determines the lifetime of the nitrocellulose.
Wartime production often is left 'dirtier' than ammunition intended for long term storage.
Why waste expensive solvents when the stuff is very likely to be consumed within a shorter period.

Long term storage of nitrocellulose powder is done under water. Radford Army Ammunition Plant was a primary nitrocellulose facility built in the 1940s to support the war effort.

Way back in the early 1980s you could still see the outlines of the wooden buildings used for long term storage of nitrocellulose. Each was a lightly built 'log cabin' style of constriction with a basement 'swimming pool' to hold water. The partially completed powder was placed in the basement room, and then submerged in water.

It was dangerous work..

Occasional explosions occurred all the way into the early 1988s from reprocessing.
The old stuff was around 25% nitrocellulose. It was reprocessed to far higher level (closer to the mid 90%) to make solid rocket motors. Ejection seats used those rocket motors.

As an EE I had a few contract jobs to try and measure, and minimize, the explosion hazard.

A 'cake' of 90+% nitrocellulose was about 16 inches in diameter and 8 inches thick. I do not remember the exact weight, but it was pushing near 100 pounds. We developed some measurement techniques that allowed for easier monitoring of the purity and relative danger.

There was not a lot left of the truck or driver when one went off accidentally during transport from one part of the factory to another. You could hear the occasional boom in Blacksburg at Virginia Tech, a couple mountain ridges away. Is sounded like remote thunder. My pager would go off a few minutes later. Time to go and figure out what the H happened.

Anyone want to be the truck driver?

As a croaker, in the end I will be right: everything ends badly. Fenrir the wolf will swallow Odin, eat the sun, the stars will vanish, and the earth shall burn. I will warm my hands on the ashes of the earth and tell everyone I was right. Yippie! And your gunpowder is not getting any younger. I don’t want you to be hurt, I don’t want your house to burn down around your head. I also would not be doing what you are doing. At least inspect the powder mix, sniff it, and store it away from a habitable residence. Store it away from flammable materials, such as solvents, fuels, etc. If you do experience high pressure indications, cracked case necks, or body splits,

how about sharing your experience?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Powder deterioration can and does occur.

However, in 55 years of handloading using dozens of different powders I have only come across one lot which showed deterioration. That was a can of DuPont IMR4350 which let off a small cloud of red dust when poured. I did not and still don't like powder stored in steel cans like the old DuPont powders. I suspect that interaction between the powder/moisture/steel may be the culprit in some instances of deterioration.

My very most favorite and dependable powder is surplus 4831, of which I still have a usable amount in inventory. I have never experienced deterioration with the 75+ year old powder, and its performance (as verified with a chronograph) remains the same as when I started using it 55 years ago (or at least 50 years ago when I got my first Oehler Model 10 chronograph).

A box of my handloaded rifle ammunition dated in the 1990's is just getting to be middle-aged. I have no ammunition in inventory, dating back to at least the 1980s which I would be in any way hesitant to shoot.

Yes, in rare instances smokeless gunpowder can deteriorate. Harboring serious, active concerns about it is a Chicken Little reaction.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, "studies" which subject ammunition to extreme heat for long periods of time are designed by suppliers to justify the military dumping huge quantities of perfectly serviceable ammunition and paying exorbitant prices to replace it in order to keep military contractors in the highest of tax brackets. Always check your sources of information for conflict of interest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, in rare instances smokeless gunpowder can deteriorate. Harboring serious, active concerns about it is a Chicken Little reaction.

In what instances does smokeless gunpowder not deteriorate? In all instances smokeless gunpowder deteriorates, it is just the lifetime of gunpowder is unpredictable.

I think is a 2020 warning. This recall has been in multiple popular gun magazines for months. Millions of eyeballs have seen them, dismissed them, and not one of my shooting buds understood that the recall was about deteriorated gunpowder. The signs are clear, corrosion of the cap, red fumes, spontaneous combustion, and the warning to fill the bottle with water. And this gunpowder is less than ten years old.

Also, no one on any forum has ever pointed out the implications, instead what do I read, "In rare instances gunpowder can deteriorate" This is confirmation bias. In all instances, gunpowder deteriorates.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
By the way, "studies" which subject ammunition to extreme heat for long periods of time are designed by suppliers to justify the military dumping huge quantities of perfectly serviceable ammunition and paying exorbitant prices to replace it in order to keep military contractors in the highest of tax brackets. Always check your sources of information for conflict of interest.

You are getting a little conspiratorial on that. America has its own experience with ammunition piles exploding and the end result is messy and embarrassing. That is one good reason ammunition dumps were moved out of places, like New York Harbor (Black Tom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion) and out in the poor South and rural West. I have a lamp, made from a shell from the T. A. Gillespie Company explosion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ding_Plant_explosion

I think an ammunition depot is still blowing every month

Russian big badda boom

https://youtu.be/tqubOf9IE4s

Ukrainian big badda boom

https://youtu.be/NKJvcVM6jvE

More blah, blah

quote:

Logistics: An Explosive Cold War Scandal

https://www.strategypage.com/h...es/20180603.aspx#foo

June 3, 2018: For the second time since 2011 there was a major accident at a Russian ammo depot in the Ural Mountains (near the town of Pugachyovo). The recent one took place in mid-May and was much smaller than the one in 2011. The 2018 incident did not kill anyone and only about 2,000 civilians had to be evacuated while nearly 500 firefighters put out the fires and prevented more damage. In mid-2011 this ammo depot, used for the destruction of elderly ammo, contained over 150,000 shells and about half of them blew up after someone apparently tossed a lit cigarette into the dry vegetation and it started a large bushfire. The 2018 accident began when someone was illegally clearing dry grass with a fire that got out of control and spread to the ammo depot.

The 2011 accident caused about 30,000 civilians to be evacuated and nearly a hundred were injured by shell fragments or fire. After the 2011 accident the base was repaired and destruction of the remaining elderly (and dangerous to move) ammo continued, often via controlled explosions that the local civilians heard regularly. But when they hear (or see) this stuff going off at night they know it is an uncontrolled explosion and depending on how close they are to the explosions, or intact ammo warehouses, time to run.

While two accidents like this on one place are rare, these ammo storage site fires and massive explosions continue despite the fact that the Russian armed forces are a fifth the size they were when the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. For example, in mid-2013 there was an ammo explosion in Central Russia (near the city of Chapayevsk). A fire began in an ammo storage base, forcing the evacuation of over 7,000 people. Two people died and 48 were wounded. It took over a week to deal with the aftereffects. Five warehouses were destroyed and over 20,000 shells, thrown (some for over a kilometer) clear were collected for disposal. The damage cost the military over $5 million.

Disasters like this still occur in Russia, largely because as recently as 2012 there was still over six million tons of ammunition in storage, much of it obsolete and in need of disposal. Getting rid of this stuff is expensive and the government has not allocated enough money to get it done quickly. Russia does not like to publicize this problem and is seeking to get the ancient ammo disposed of as quickly and quietly as possible.

These explosions are also a common problem in countries that have long used ammunition bought from Russia or China. During the communist period, as per the Soviet custom, old ammunition was not destroyed but kept around. Communist countries were poor. It made sense to keep those old mortar and artillery shells (plus bombs and military explosives) for the inevitable war with the enemies of socialism. But the chemical reactions taking place in propellants and explosives, after these items are manufactured, eventually cause dangerous side effects. Over time the compounds that make the propellants and explosives deteriorate and change. This renders the propellants and explosives useless or, in many cases, unstable and very dangerous.

Elderly and unstable ammunition has resulted in many spontaneous explosions on Russian ships as well as ammunition depots. There was another one similar to the Chapayevsk incident in 2012. That one was traced to human error. Because not enough money was spent to properly take care of what is held in storage the workforce was often untrained and careless. Part of this problem arises from the army use of conscripts or minimum-wage civilians to take care of these ammo storage sites. The 2012 accident was traced to a soldier who carelessly tossed aside a lit cigarette, which led to the disastrous fire and explosions.

The danger is not over once the explosions have died down. Many shells and rockets are thrown, unexploded, hundreds of meters from the storage area. These will have to be carefully removed before someone, or an animal disturbs the munition and sets it off. Some of these munitions are buried in the wreckage of damaged or destroyed structures.
Russia has long had problems with elderly, and cranky, munitions. One saving grace was that Russia tended to put these depots in isolated areas, so the casualties were low. However, the Russians took the hint during the 1990s and set about disposing of huge quantities of Cold War surplus munitions.

After the 1990s ammunition explosions like this became increasingly common because of the ammo getting older and not enough trained ammo disposal personnel available. Until about 2010 there was usually one big explosion somewhere, and 10-20 smaller ones, each year. There are still some small ones, but far fewer of the big ones. The aging munitions not only became unstable but also very dangerous just move. Russia had more of a problem with this than China, which could afford to dispose of older munitions and had much less older stuff stored away. This sort of thing has been the cause of many spontaneous explosions on Russian ships and in ammunition depots, even before the Cold War ended in 1991. These accidents also happen while efforts to safely dispose of it are underway.

In 2008 an Albanian ammunition processing facility north of the capital exploded. There were over 200 casualties, including at least nine dead (largely among the 4,000 civilians living nearby). Over 300 buildings were destroyed, and over 2,000 damaged. The facility was used to destroy old ammo, which was a condition for Albania to join NATO. There were about 100,000 tons of old ammunition in Albania, and the destroyed facility dismantled 500-600 tons of the stuff each month. The explosion in Albania probably occurred during the process of extracting explosives from the old ammo. This can be tricky, as the least little spark, can set this stuff off. Worse, older ammo in an unstable state can go off without a spark. This sort of thing is what makes the crudely made Islamic terrorist explosives so dangerous.

Since the 1990s there were more explosions worldwide that involved elderly Russian or Chinese made ammo that was stored improperly. After 2000 the Russians, embarrassed by this as they sought to sell new weapons and munitions to old customers made an effort to help nations, especially in Africa and the Middle East, who still had a lot of that old stuff in storage, on how to inspect and detect ammo that was dangerous. The Russians also provided help in safely disposing of the older, unstable munitions.

Despite that effort, embarrassing accidents still took place, although not as frequently. In early 2014 an explosion in a military ammunition warehouse in southern Congo killed at least twenty and more than fifty were wounded. The cause was a lightning strike that started a fire that reached some of the ammo before firefighting efforts could deal with it. This took place near Congo’s third-largest city, Mbuji-Mayi. Like many African countries, Congo received ammo supplies from Western and Russian sources after colonial rulers left in the 1960s. A lot of this ammo was never used and has simply grown old and unstable. Heeding advice from Russian and Chinese arms experts the African nations were making an effort to improve the security of these ammo dumps, to make theft (which means moving this dangerous stuff) or spontaneous detonation (from age and heat) less likely.

Russia could speak from recent experience in such matters. From 2008-12 Russia suffered 17 of these ammo depot explosions, all of which included some fatalities. While there were five of these incidents in 2012, there were only two in 2013 and even fewer since 2014. The new safety measures were less enthusiastically embraced outside Russia, especially in parts of Africa where fighting was still going on and chaos was the rule. For example, the Congo had planned to upgrade ammo depots to better handle lightning problems, but the Mbuji-Mayi ammo storage site had not yet been upgraded to deal with that. By 2017 Congo was drifting towards another civil war and ammo warehouse safety was no longer a top priority.

Africa has been the scene of many of these explosions, largely because of the climate (often hot and damp) and the laxest safety standards. Another problem in Africa is that ammo storage facilities are often in urban areas. Thus there tend to be hundreds of civilian deaths. As is common in Africa, military units are often based inside major cities, the better to deal with any attempts to overthrow the government. Large quantities of ammunition are often stored on these urban bases, so the troops can quickly handle any contingency. African armies tend to be poorly trained and led, which often expresses itself in sloppy safety procedures and hazardous handling of munitions.

Even recently manufactured ammo can accidentally detonate if not stored or handled properly. You cannot be too careful how you store, and handle this stuff. For example, in 2010 four Ukrainian sailors were seriously injured when two 30mm cannon shells spontaneously exploded. Actually, those shells didn't go off entirely without warning. The Navy reported that the shells were old, beyond their “use by” date, and were probably set off by vibrations ships generate during training exercises.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though I've not had any trouble with my old powders So far, I'd like to commend Slamfire for his work on this thread. It certainly makes food for thought!

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Though I've not had any trouble with my old powders So far, I'd like to commend Slamfire for his work on this thread. It certainly makes food for thought!

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a million reasons for blown primers and blown up guns...too many to do nothing more than confuse..

To start with cut your load 2 or 3 grs. no less and fire a few shots and see what happens..Don't ever use all that crap in the pictures in a rifle or any gun for that matter, toss it and buy 100 new cases for $65.00 or less..A can of new powder then the gun will answer your questions...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120