Find
Notify
Tools

case trimming question from a beginner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I have been using the Lee reloading trimmers for specific caliber up to now.

I now have to trim a caliber(9.3x62)that Lee has no trimmer for.

I reloaded some 9.3x62 with once shot brass and they would not chamber - neck too long with just one shooting.

How do the other trimmers work - what do I need to trim this caliber's brass?

I guess I need some type of hand crank trimmer - In other words a entire new trimmer set up for one caliber.

Am I right?? What do I need - suggestions??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
I reloaded some 9.3x62 with once shot brass and they would not chamber - neck too long with just one shooting.

Riodot, are you sure about this assertion?? It would be fairly rare, that you could actually tell a case which has grown so long (by sizing), just from chambering it. What normally happens (at least in a bolt action), is that the case mouth gets pinched by chambering, and this could cause the bullet to be crimped in the case, which could be the cause of dangerously high pressures.

Have you measured your case length after sizing, and are you over the max spec for the caliber??

If not, it could be another dimension of the case, which could cause the hard (or impossible?) chambering.

About trimming devices. The BEST hand trimming device is the Wilson, and it gets even better if you buy it (from Sinclair's) with a micrometer and a stand attached. This is about as accurate a device you can get for trimming, but not inexpensive.

For a less expensive device, consider the Forster trimmer. A lot of people seem happy with this tool, which is sold at a pretty reasonable prices...

- mike

P.S. make use you always measure the length of your sized cases BEFORE you load them. Not doing so is a dangerous pratice. At best, you might have to disassemble your loads to be able to trim the brass. At worst, you won't notice the cases are too long, and you could cause serious harm to yourself, bystanders or the gun. Stay safe!

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee offers custom trimmers for around $20. Call them and ask about it. If they have a die set for the caliber, they may not even need anything else from you but the cash. For others, they need either detailed specifications, or fired brass.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
Lee offers custom trimmers for around $20. Call them and ask about it. If they have a die set for the caliber, they may not even need anything else from you but the cash. For others, they need either detailed specifications, or fired brass.

Andy

I just e-mailed them - thanks for the info.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote