Find
Notify
Tools

Seating Depth Questions for a Howaby
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
Earlier tonight I was making dummy rounds for my new Howaby 300 Weatherby Magnumb.
I made up three dummy rounds to check feeding, measure the distance from the rifling and set the dies. I am using the Hornady 180gr Interlock for now.

I was surprised that the magazine box allows a maximum OAL of just under 3.6" The bullet hits the rifling at 3.866". Kind of a built in freebore.

Most of my other guns are milsurps. The SMLE's in particular restricted to a specific OAL as is my 300 Savage. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference to those rifles. I hope it won't make a difference in the Howaby.

Any comments on whether or not seating to the rifling makes enough of a difference to care about?

Thanks
ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
One of the advantages of having lots of rifles is I can play mixmaster. It turns out the magazine box on the Tupperware Special (M700 ADL Synthetic 270Win) will fit in the Howaby with some mods to the box itself. I am not going to do that right away but it is an option if needed.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Weaterby is designed with freebore. That is the way pressure is held down. If it didn't have freebore you would have to cut the powder charge, and get reduced velocity. Accuracy is still good if you load right.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote