New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 6BR Question
 Login/Join

<T. Brady>
posted
I know most of the benchrest shooters use a light bullet with a 14 twist.What kind of accuracy could I exspect from a gun with a 12 or 13 twist using 75 grn or 80 grn bullets? Using a tight neck and the gun done up right.Will the 12 and 13 twist barrel over spin the lighter br bullets?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
T.Brady,

I am not a bench rest shooter, but I would always take "over-stabilization" rather than "under-stabilization".

You might like to have a look at this article.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223heavy.html

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67080 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
There have been several really good articles in "Precision Shooting" magazine about the barrel twist situation.
The need is a bit different for a bench rest shooter at 100 and 200 yards than it is for the rest of us shooting in the real world. The bench rest guys (usually) pick a particular bullet first as being the most accurate bullet possible and then choose a twist that works properly for the bullet and velocity.
Some of the BR guys have been working with even slower twist barrels like 1-18 or 1-20 which work with real lightweight 30 cal. bullets.