Find
Notify
Tools

Windy and cold Range report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
boohooThe temperature at 8:30Am was in the low 40s. The wind was steady at 30 miles an hour out of the canyon with sustained gusting up to and over 50 miles an hour. Three full cups of coffee were just blowen away. My cousin's 270 Ruger was blowen out of the rest on to the concrete. At one point my hands were so cold I could not pick up a cartridge.Could not set up the chrono and the range wasn't issueing paper targets.

Results Two 140 gr. bullets, Rem sp- w/2c and Sierrs HPBT in the 6.5x55 were doing multi round groups less than 4 inches at 300 yds driven by 47 gr. of DP 86.

In the .223 the 75gr BTHP Hornady match was doing that and better at a little over 3000fps. The velocity was previously recorded.The powder was 2230-C lite by CCI mag. primers which I seldom use.
EekerThe Winchester 45gr. HP white box -Varmint loads did a surprisingly fine job in the wind.
Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The wind was steady at 30 miles an hour out of the canyon with sustained gusting up to and over 50 miles an hour. ... Results Two 140 gr. bullets, Rem sp- w/2c and Sierrs HPBT in the 6.5x55 were doing multi round groups less than 4 inches at 300 yds driven by 47 gr. of DP 86....
Speaks realllllly well for the Trigger Yanker!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: I have a Coyote Rifle that I robbed the scope off of here last summer for another new Prairie Dog Rifle. I remounted the scope on the Coyote Rifle this week and had it and all my gear stacked by the door for a quick trip to the Range here three days ago!
Imagine my "confusion" when I woke up and began packing my gear into the VarmintMobile and the trip to the range, when I happened to glance at the TV. It was 10 degrees below ZERO (-10 degrees Fahrenheit!)!
Thats COLD! In fact that was 42 degrees COLDER than mere freezing! And 84 degrees COLDER than the day you went shooting!
Needless to say I held off on my range excursion and Coyote calling Hunt for that day!
But congratulations are in order for you to be able to shoot such good groups at that range and in that much wind.
Good for you!
I hope the 270 that took "a header" onto the concrete was not seriously damaged!
Keep up the good shooting!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote