Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM. load's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
Hy, a freind of mine would like me to reload for him, he is shooting a Browning "A" bolt in 300WSM. My question is, which power have you guy's found the best to use in this calibre. He will be using Nosler accu-bond's.(180 gr.)He seem's a bit disappointed with the speed he get's with his Winchester XTP factory ammo.He get's just over 2900 fps. through my crony. (maybe i should not have shot my 300RUM. through the crony first. heeeehee) Anyway thank's guy's, any info would be appreciated. Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a member over at ammoguide. There are about 150 loads for 300WSM there. I can't put their info up here because it exposes them to liability problems, but I can suggest you buy a scrip and avail yourself to any of the 20,000-plus loads over there for over 750 cartridges. A year is just $18 and you get a ton of info-- so much you'll wonder why you didn't join before. I have already re-upped once. Per your question, you can use the "load filtering" function to choose a specific powder, a specific bullet weight, a specific bullet maker, et cetera to pinpoint the exact load you want. Want to see all the loads in .223 using 62 grain bullets? Easy! Just define that search and they'll pop up in two seconds. Want to see all the loads in .223 using H335 powder? Easy! Just define that search and all the loads will pop up in two seconds. All the loads are tested and verified. Components used are specified. Maximum loads are highlighted for your safety. For the price of five gallons of gas spread over a year, you can't beat it...

You can always go to Steve's Reloading Data Pages. Some people poo-poo his data. I don't care what they say. He gives you a good place to start, if nothing else.

http://stevespages.com/308_31_180.html

I use 65 grains of RL-22 in my 300WSM target "boat anchor." I use 180-grain Sierra MatchKing bullets. I use bagged, garden-variety Winchester brass and fully prep it. I use whatever LRM primers I can find. In the 300WSM, 68-70 grains is a compressed load depending on which powder you use. I don't do compressed loads. In my load above, I get 2900 fps, +/- a few. No obvious signs of excessive pressure. Have loaded the same cases six and seven times. Gun shoots just a red CH under half-minute at 300 yards. I also use 65 grains of H4831SC and get the same results...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
hodgdon.com
go to "Data" and then "Loading Data", click on "Click Here" and then "Cartridge loads". Then select the cartridge, and "Get Data". From there you can refine the search for bullet weight, powder choice, etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hodgdon.com
go to "Data" and then "Loading Data", click on "Click Here" and then "Cartridge loads". Then select the cartridge, and "Get Data". From there you can refine the search for bullet weight, powder choice, etc.

Another good source. Most powder companies have a website just like Hodgdon's. I have been to that one. Very good site, indeed...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of Richard Wayne

Posted 23 August 2009 01:28
Hy, a friend of mine would like me to reload for him, he is shooting a Browning "A" bolt in 300WSM. My question is, which powDer have you guy's found the best to use in this caliber. He will be using Nosler accu-bond's.(180 gr.)He seems a bit disappointed with the speed he get's with his Winchester XTP factory ammo.He get's just over 2900 fps. through my crony. (maybe i should not have shot my 300RUM. through the crony first. heeeehee) Anyway thanks guy's, any info would be appreciated. Rick.

Ya mean these? XP3

My best loads for my Browning A-bolt 300 WSM have been with H-4831-SC, AA-4350, and R-19. With 165 or 180 grainers, I get best velocities with compressed loads of those powders with standard win primers. No need for magnum primers, no matter what the name of the cartridge is!

I've gotten BETTER than 3000 fps with interbond 180's. And better than 3300 with 165's. I'm using norma cases, gave up on the possibility finding two winchester cases the same out of a bag of new brass,(after having to toss 2 that the mouth were mashed).

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting 69gr. of AA-4350 with 180 gr. bullets and getting 3050 fps. with Winchester brass Full Length resizing. Note: for some reason this 8# of AA-4350 is very slow burning almost in line with RL-19. The next keg I open might be somewhat faster burning. As always start low and work up.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my 300WSM'S like H4350
67.0 FOR 125 gr Sierra sp's
65.0 for 150's
62.0 for 165's
Not that blazing speed you hear about,but very accurate at 100-200 yds.Both also have 1-12 twist

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats 63.0 for 165's my typo error

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last June someone asked me to help him sight in his new rifle for a spring bear hunt.It was a Browning stainless synthetic 300WSM with a Baush and laum?? scope.He had two boxes of ammo,a box of federal accubonds and a box of Win lubalox coated balistic tips or similar.The rifle could not get a decent group at 100yds.I checked it out and could not find anything wrong with it except for a stock that was way to light.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
79 gr. of magpro and a 180. You will like it.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for a CZ 300WSM, BAR 300WSM and an A-Bolt 300WSM. For the 180gr bullets they all three really like Ramshot Hunter. Excellent velocity and outstanding accuracy.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ya mean these? XP3

Holy dogsqueeze! $50 a box! When ammo is that much, it's no fun to shoot. Is that bullet made of titanium? A bullet is what-- $0.40 at the outside? The powder, primer and brass can't cost $2.00 - 2.10, can, they? I have never bought loaded ammo for my 300WSM. It's a target gun so no reason for that, anyway. I have bought loaded ammo in 1,000-round cases for my ARs and AK, but just about everybody does...

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
My typo error, yes i meant xp3. I'm kind of surprissed i haven't seen the new RL 17 powder mentioned. I hear it was made just for the short magnum's.I haven't heard from buddy yet, i would think he should have the die's and shell holder by the weekend. 5 week's till moose hunt, he better get his act together. lol I have some different powder's we can try, and a free box of Triple shock x bullet's he can have, (don't shoot as good as my accu-bond's in my gun) should be able to get him set up at least. Thank's guy's , i'll let ya know how we do . Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote