New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #3/ hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody have some good loads for this combo. I am using 13.2gr.of lil gun but am only shooting about an inch at 100 yds. Heard the Hornet can shoot better than this but I dont think so, so far.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Be happy with it. Considering the cartridge and the little carbine, your results are just fine.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just shot my Number 1 in 22 Hornet Monday testing loads. Used Lil Gun for different bullets, and found that all loads below 13 gr shot BAD: like over 1 1/2". 13 grains seemed the best so far, with Clint Starke's 36Gr and 40Gr bullets shooting best at 3/4", followed by the Hornady 40 Gr V-Max and Rem 40 Gr Blitz's. I don't think you can do much better with a Hornet, at least I've never read about guys getting groups much better. My Dad had a Winchester Model 54 in Hornet that got 3/4" groups as his personal best. He used 11.0 Gr of IMR 4227 with 45 Grain bullets of the day, back in the late 1940's. I'm also using small pistol primers as the small rifle's wouldn't get less than 1". All of this was at 100 yards. I think I'll try going up a bit on the powder charge as the trend was that groups improved as I went from 11 1/2 Gr to 13 Gr. Can't go much further as the case is almost full at 13Gr. And, the primers looked good at 13Gr, so I'll give it a go. If you're not using small rifle primers, buy a box of small pistol's and try them. They are not as hot as the rifle's, and give good ignition.
I think the only way to get good accuracy from a Hornet is to "K" it, which I don't want to do.
Good luck,
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not own a POS like that. Why not sale it to me and I will put it out of its misery? If it is for sale, email me. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I changed to Rem small PISTOL primers (using 13 grains of Lil Gun, 40 V Max) and noticed coniserable inprovement in group size.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I experienced years of frustation with my Hornet in a #3 and was ready to give up on it but have found a combination of things that really makes it shoot well now. First thing I did was to drill and tap the forend hanger (forward of the mainspring) for a 10-32 screw. This lets me put upward pressure on the barrel. I have played with various amounts of upward pressure and my gun seems to like quite a bit.

The second was Lil Gun powder. My favorite load is neck sized RP cases, CCI BR4 primers, 40 grain Nolser BTs and 14.5 grains of Lil Gun. This is almost a complete case full. Case life is good while the accuracy and velocity are great. On a good day (no wind) 5/8 inch groups and 3200 FPS.

I seat the bullet as far out as I can for two reasons. First the case is full of powder and the throat on this gun is really long (a 55 grain spitzer won't touch the lands when barely seated in the case). Don't know if this long throat acts like a free bore or not.

Have tried the pistol primers with the same load and no pressure signs (i.e. flattend primers) but the accuracy dropped off.

As the gun shoots now, it is my favorite P-dog gun. Not super long range but you can see all the action through the scope.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How in the world do you get 14.5grs. of Lil'Gun in a standard Hornet case? Most I can get in (Win. bras)using a drop tube is 13.8grs.
My #1B (which is for sale-99%new-$475 shipped) shoots between 3/4 -1/2in. with 35gr. VMax at 100yds- 13.5grs. for 3205fps.

I didn't drill and tap the hanger but have a couple of steel shims between the screw stud and forearm. Pete

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I don't know exactly how or why I am able to get so much powder in the case but have an idea. First, RP cases hold almost 1/2 grain more than Winchester cases. Second, I think my chamber was reamed oversize. When I first started reloading for this gun (late 70's), I full length sized the cases and used 2400 powder. About the third to fourth reload and the cases would separate.

Knowing more about reloading now (I hope) I realize that just above the web area I get a fair amount of case expansion. Even backing off my old RCBS dies to just neck size 1/2 of the neck length would partially size the case. I have since gone to a Lee collet die and have have seen improvements in accuracy and case life. Figure that once the case stretches out, if left there it won't hurt anything.

Had thought about setting the barrel back and rechambering for the 22K Hornet to clean up the chamber but don't see the need to now.

Pedro, too bad you are in Lewiston (I am in Pocatello) or I could show you the gun and load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting about .6"@ 100yd with 40gr NBTs and H110. Don't recall the charge; it's in log at home. I haven't had but about .85" with the 35gr VMAX, but development isn't complete yet.

I can hardly believe it shoots this well; has a Burris compact 3x9, sort of wishing for a compact 4x12.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
recon about 150 yds is as far as you'd want to strech the Hornet on fox size game.I do this quite regulary with 40gn jhp pushed along by 10.3 gns of ADI 2207, win small rifle primers& win cases

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear ACPCHUCK,
As the 22 Hornet is a rimmed case there is no need to set the barrel back to make the Kilbourne Hornet. I did mine [and 12-+] more in the Ruger 77/22 Hornet by just running the reamer in to depth through the action. Got a WHOLE lot better accuracy with the "K".

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. The one positive of rimmed cases is no need to set the barrel back for an improved case. However I was considering setting the barrel back just to be able to get the bullet to reach the lands. Have always been told that seating bullets just off the lands is the best way to go for accuracy. I am .100 inch off now but the load shoots well.