New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitch's .378 loads
 Login/Join

<goneballistic>
posted
I was interested in how you worked up on these loads, i.e. the 870 powder/300 grain projectile loads.

My main point of concern is that the 870 loads exceed the max load listed in Hodgdon's #26 (120 grains) by a large margin.

I realize that slow burning powders like 870 are usually not a problem in compressed loads, with the right case, but I wonder, why didn't Hodgdon? My guess is they did not do adequate load workups on the .378 to determine the cartridge's full potential.

<Mitch>
posted
DavidM, My quess is H870 is a bit on the slow side for many 378s. That is why Hodgdon did not bother to work it up into a full power load. You will notice I used a Hornady RN. bullet because this bullet takes up less case capacity when seated than most other 300 gr. bullets. With many other bullet styles I would not have been able to get enough H870 in the case to reach max. velocity.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 04-19-2001).]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Mitch. The most H870 I could ever muster in a 378 WBY case was 132 gr with the very short Hornady RN SP. Velocity was 2929 average. Can't get enough in the case to reach max pressures. Any more and I would buckle the shoulders. I did try RL 25 though and got 3060 fps with 115gr of it and the 300 gr sierra. Not bad 6200 fpe! I wonder if anyone tried H1000?

------------------
"If guns are outlawed...only outlaws will have guns!

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 05-28-2001).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<goneballistic>
posted
POP,
Did you settle the powder into the case? One trick I use, other than just tapping on the case on my bench, is to hold the case head against my vibratory case cleaner. Of course, it helps to place a finger on the case mouth, at first.
I worked up to a 132 grains, but with the Sierra 300 grain SPBT, bullet #3000. I could go maybe, 2 grains more, with that projectile.

<Mitch>
posted
POP, I have a neck size only die for my 378 wby. With the case just neck sized instead of FL. sized that is how I was able to get the extra powder into the case.

<goneballistic>
posted
Me too!

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I did try tapping but not just neck sizing. Oh well, that was just an experimental thing! I have a couple of killer loads for my 378 Wby Mag now. Varmint gun Accuracy galore!

------------------
"If guns are outlawed...only outlaws will have guns!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote