Find
Notify
Tools

TSX/antelope results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I posted our pictures in Big Game hunting but I wanted to comment about my brother's results.

He shot his antelope at roughly 91 yards. He used his PacNor bbl 270 Win and the 110 TSX boat tail bullet...IMR4350. I'm sure we'd all guess that the bullet simply penciled through at that range and shed it's petals. I was right beside him and was attemting to get the camera going, didn't work, different story. He put the bullet right in the shoulder, perfect broadside hit. The goat went down after 1 step.

While opening up the thorax, the damage was impressive. Nice 2" holes in both lungs and he barely clipped the top of the heart. The bullet is history somewhere in the ground and quite frankly, my brother doesn't give a crap what it looks like or how much it weighs. He's not into all that chat we all get into. I'd say the BONUS of a small entrance and exit wound specifically on antelope is that the cape is not destroyed. Here he is with his first antelope, the pic is a repeat from Big Game Hunting:

The look on his face and the goat on the ground are all I need to see to judge whether or not the bullet "failed."

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, congratulate your brother for me, nice goat!

It just goes to show I think we get all too wound up here on what is the best bullet, etc.

My dad and my buddy just had a great antelope hunt in New Mexico. Great time, good bullet performance, etc.

What a diversity in bullet design! Your brother used the Barnes TSX, we all used Nosler Ballistic Tips as did two other hunters in our camp. Now that is two very different bullet designs. Did any of them bounce off? Not hardly!!!

We shot goats from 100 yards to well over 400 and in every case the Nosler Ballistic Tip worked quite well.

I had a friend who shot more wild hogs than anyone has a right to. He killed several every week! His bullet of choice for his 25-06 was the 120 grain Solid Base Nosler. His bullet of choice for his Super 7 (300 Wby necked down to 7mm) was a 162 Hornady. He had no complaints with either.

I think we are blessed with LOTS of good bullets out there today.

I have to admit I tried the Barnes X bullets years ago and was not impressed. My friend in New Mexico shot several elk with them and said they were not worth a darn. He told Randy Brooks that to his face and he did not like it a bit!

Again, congratulations and it sounds like the Barnes did a good job.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have taken two antelope with the Barnes TSX (7 mm, 130 g), one trotting at 250 yards and the other standing at 286 yards. The trotting antelope (wounded by another hunter with a broken rear leg) piled up face first without a step after being hit. The bullet entered in front of the near shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder. it had a caliber size entrance hole and 1.5" exit hole. I didn't get to see the internal damage, the other "hunter" threw it in the back of the truck whole and left with it.

The antelope I shot standing was also wounded previously by someone else and I finished it and had to tag it. When I field dressed it, I found another caliber sized entrance hole and a 1.25" exit hole. It was shot from behind the last rib, forward though the chest and the bullet exited out the base of the neck (front). The right lung was gone and I only found the bottom 1/4 of the heart.

Neither bullet encountered any heavy bone on the way through and I was perfectly happy with the terminal performance.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote