New
Find
Notify
Tools

380acp reload ?
 Login/Join

posted
hi
I am new to forums and reloading and this my?.I have reloaded 9mm 40 and 38 special with no problem.So I move on and start to make reloads in 380acp for my sig p230.First I have to say that I bought this gun 20 years ago new and it has always been picky on failing to feed certain ammo.Anyway I loaded up some 100gn berry cooper plated bullets with accurate 2.I used 3.5 gns and 0.960 depth with a light crimp.The bullets keep jamming in the top of the barrel at an angle.On further inspection it seems the bullet is being forced into the case.The problem is if I crimp more the case will buckle.Sig Arms says dont use reloads.Every few years I take this gun out of my safe only to get frustrated and put it away again.Can someone share some tips.I think its the end of the line for this pistol.

Posts: 3 | Location: Trenton New Jersey | Registered: 17 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your COL within specs?

Do you have lighter (shorter) bullets to try?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brasstracker, With 90 XTP using 3.7 of HP38 or 2.7 700X and OAL: .980 - .985 my P230 as well as Colt pocket pistols work just fine.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The .380 feeds similarly to the .45 ACP in that if it is too short it stands up and runs into the top of the chamber.

Speer lists their 95 grain round nose at .970,
Hornday lists their 100 grain Round nose at .980.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote