New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mild 270wsm load using H4350
 Login/Join

posted
Hi folks.
I would like to make some mild 270wsm loads that my son can handle. I have plenty of H4350 in store and would like to use that. My Hornady manual lists a starting load for the 150 gr.SST of 48,9 gr.giving a speed of 2700 f/sec. However, the reloading data on the Hodgdon Website lists a starting load of 53 gr. giving a speed of 2846 f/sec. Not that I have any reason to doubt the Hornady-guys, but do you think that it would be safe to go as low as the 48,9 grains.

Regards

Posts: 3 | Location: denmark | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lower load gives about 75% case fill with the bullet seated. I'm not an expert but I think it would be safe. You might want to contact hornady by email and ask them if they still use that load just for peace of mind. Better yet if you can get ahold of some h4895 you could visit the youth loads listed by hodgdon.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haterock:
Hi folks.
I would like to make some mild 270wsm loads that my son can handle. I have plenty of H4350 in store and would like to use that. My Hornady manual lists a starting load for the 150 gr.SST of 48,9 gr.giving a speed of 2700 f/sec. However, the reloading data on the Hodgdon Website lists a starting load of 53 gr. giving a speed of 2846 f/sec. Not that I have any reason to doubt the Hornady-guys, but do you think that it would be safe to go as low as the 48,9 grains.

Regards

Start with 49.5 gr. That's .6 more than listed by Hornady.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not H4350....but my .270 WSM light load is 56 grns. of H380 with a mag primer topped with a 130 grn. Hornady SST

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider dropping down to the 130 grain bullet. There is a noticeable difference in recoil between the two. I find that Accurate 5744 is perfect for reduced loads in the 270WSM, but 4350 will work also. I would not go below the listed minum charge for the bullet, manufacturer, style and weight that you are using to avoid possible detonation.

What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Kodiak:
You might want to consider dropping down to the 130 grain bullet. There is a noticeable difference in recoil between the two. I find that Accurate 5744 is perfect for reduced loads in the 270WSM, but 4350 will work also. I would not go below the listed minum charge for the bullet, manufacturer, style and weight that you are using to avoid possible detonation.

Good stuff Bear +1 thumb

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote