New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for the .356 Winchester
 Login/Join

<Smoky>
posted
Help! I just bought a .356 Winchester based upon a number of very strong recommendations but I know very little about this caliber. I want to use this gun for deer and elk. What do I need to know to reload for it? Specifically...
1. What bullets are best for hunting, especially elk, and where can I get them?
2. What differentiates .358" diameter rifle bullets from handgun bullets?
3. Will handgun bullets work for this caliber?
4. I've seen .358" diameter bullets listed as both 35 caliber and 38 caliber? Why the difference? Does 38 caliber refer to handgun bullets and 35 to rifle bullets?
5. What do I need to know about bullet length to safely load for this caliber?

To make matters worse (or better!), I'm brand new to handloading. Any and all advice is welcome as hunting season is fast approaching. Thanks, in advance, for your help folks!

<toto>
posted
Smokey, I load 49.5gr. wc846/blc2 behind 220 speer and wlr primer for an average vel. 2408ft. per sec. This is in a Win.94ae. 20" barrel, oal 2.568. Remember to start a couple of grains lower and work up. This is not the hottest ive loaded but the most accurate. Hope this helps. fws

<PaulS>
posted
Smoky,
to answer your questions as asked:
1. Speer 180 grain or higher are good bullets for the 356, 35 Rem and 358 Win. Get them from Speer at any reloading supplier.

2. Rifle bullets are .358 inch diameter and pistol bullets are .357 inch diameter. Pistol bullets have a lighter jacket that can come apart at rifle velocities and the core lead can be of harder alloy.

3. handgun bullets sometimes shoot well in rifles but they are not the best choice for hunting large game.

4. yes and no... rifle bullets are usually refered to as 35 caliber but some older cartridges are called 38. the only way to tell for sure is to measure the bore or know the caliber.

5. cartridge overall length has a maximum specification that is agreed upon by SAMMI and any factory chambered weapon will be cut to allow this length cartridge to be safely chambered. You can find this length listed in the reloading manuals.

PaulS

<Smoky>
posted
Thanks for responding, guys. A couple more questions...

From the graphics at the Speer website, the Speer 180 and 220 look almost like spitzers. Given the recoil of the .356, are the noses on these two bullets flat enough for safety (large enough diameter on the bullet's nose)? I only ask because the Winchester web site graphic for their factory loaded round appears to show a bullet with a much flatter larger diameter nose.

Anyone use hard cast bullets for this round? If so, how have they performed on larger games such as elk and moose, and which ones have you used?

Again, many thanks.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Smokey,

The Speer 180 and 220 are flat enough for a tube magazine.

Hard Cast bullets are probably not a good idea. Most hard cast bullets start to lead pretty bad in the 2200 fps + velocity range. And the 356 will drive 220 grs at the velocity easy. It would only get worst with 200 grainers.

The hevaiest hard cast I could find was in the 200 or 210 unless u r talking about making your own.

<Smoky>
posted
Thanks a ton, Mike. I'll stock up on some of both of the Speer bullets tomorrow.

<WSJ>
posted
Smoky: I can't help you with your other 356 questions but did just get done fooling around with some Speer 140 JHP's in my 350 Rem. Mag. (yesterday). The Speer manual listed some loads with IMR 4895, which I use for other bullets in this caliber, and the 140 gr pistol bullets, which I load for a 357 mag revolver.

I was a bit concerned about the potential of these bullets coming apart in the barrel or when they left it. In fact I was kinda concerned about shooting my chronograph with 140 grain bullet shards! But it didn't happen, the velocities were right what the book said they should be (2686), and the things shot one-hole groups at 50 yards from a rest. I did pull the bolt out and check the barrel after shoting the first one.

In my rifle they print about 1/2" lower than the 200 gr Hornady "deer load." Recoil is about like a 243. Pretty cool and a great way to get some good practice and fire form new brass, which is why I wanted to work up a load with pistol bullets in the first place. I haven't shot them at 100 yards yet but they're great for shooting off-hand at clay birds on the ground.

I expect you can figure out some similar plinking loads for your 356 and you shouldn't have to worry about the bullets coming apart at 356 velocities. I've seen some loads using shotshell powders with pistol bullets but haven't seen them in the manuals, so I've shied away from trying them. Someone will probably be able to offer some firsthand experience with that here. Good luck. -WSJ