New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which powder now?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a bit of a confused state. I usually use H4350 for both my 6.5 and .243 but it is becoming increasingly harder to get hold of at my usual supplier. So, I am after suggestions as to alternatives, my supplier does carry a wide selection of VV powders. If I could find one that would suit my .222 as well I would be delighted, I'm not sure if Seafire and his bluedot would fit the bill, but I think it might.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Try H414 and Reloader 19 for both the 243 and 6.5.

For the 222 try Reloader 7.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67408 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in VV powders, you could look at this:

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=850

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR4350 and XMR4350 are (very) near duplicates to H4350.

BlueDot is a fast powder for pistols and will not give the same results. It would be used for reduced power/velocity loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Widners and Powder Valley have 8# canisters of H4350 for under 120$+Hazmat and shipping. One or two of those ought to keep you in 6.5 and 243 for a long time.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
Widners and Powder Valley have 8# canisters of H4350 for under 120$+Hazmat and shipping. One or two of those ought to keep you in 6.5 and 243 for a long time.

I don't think Powder Valley will ship to Scotland Wink. I should think that either Vihtavouri N-160 or N-560 would work well in both your 6.5 and .243 Win. Would probably have to drop down to N-130 or N-133 for your .222, though.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I was just trying to get my powder collection reduced. I want to get down to just 2 if possible. One for my 6.5 and 243 and one for my 222 and Hornet, but I expect curiosity will get the better of me and the collection will grow again, I am down to 5 at present.

2ndtimer that was well spotted Wink

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the .222 N120 is the way to go. Above being very accurate it is also cut to a very short grain. It therefore feeds throuhg powder measures very easily.

one of us
posted Hide Post
burning rate chart

Find your H4350, and then look for other powders close by. N150 looks like a good match.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote