Find
Notify
Tools

Primers stored in cold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guy's,
Do you think it's ok to store and keep primers in the shed over the winter or do you think that the temps will destroy them?
Thanks in advance,
Vin

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Cold and dry is OK. Cold,wet is not.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are made to withstand cold. Heat, not as much and I suspect your shed in summer gets up to around 120.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe either cold or heat will have much effect. Primers in Afghanistan still go bang with amazing regularity as they do in Alaska.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Try storing them in high heat for 30 years and see what happens.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Been shooting some primers that my dad had stored in the shed (unheated and unair conditioned) since the early 80s. Here it gets between -10 to 110 or so for the extremes. Yes, I said extreme. Usually from zero to 105 at some point every year. They have all gone bang just fine.

I think Rapidrob has it right.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I picked up 1000 old Winchester "Staynless" primers in the yellow box that had been in a guys shed for ages. They have been exposed to cold and heat and I have probably shot 300 or more of them so far and not a single problem yet.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just keep my primers in the house. i take them to the shop when i get ready to reload..

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pile of CCI primers from at least the early 70's and maybe the 60's that were given to me by a retired LEO from Las Vegas, Nevada. I have no clue as to their history, regarding temps, but they have all worked so far. There is also a thousand or more of the Winchester "Staynless" large pistol primers and they too have worked just fine. That's been the experience so far. Now watch the next batch of reloads have large numbers of misfires.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote