Find
Notify
Tools

New brass compared to fired brass??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

Is there a difference in accuracy between new brass or brass that has been fired at least one time? I realize that brass that is close in weight is more accurate.

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot of "ifs" involved there. For example, if they have both been full length sized, I doubt you could tell the difference. There's a long shot of being able to tell the difference, if the once fired was in Your gun and then only neck sized. If the once fired were not in your gun, they may not be from the same lot, while the new ones have a better chance for that. The once fired may be a little longer, which may or may not make a difference.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Brass that is fireformed and used in the same rifle will give better life if you do not full length resize. also I cant say brass that is of the same weight will give better accuracy. my opinion that case volume is what is important.
I prefer fire formed brass over new brass,
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
I second what hivelosity has said with one additional note. You can't do this if you are using your brass in an auto-loader. In that case you will need short dies and the brass well be reformed to the original specs or like new brass.

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I resize new brass just like I do fired brass..

neck size it and bump the shoulder back using a body die..

I also anneal it..

then it doesn't make a difference in my opinion..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I resize new brass just like I do fired brass..

neck size it and bump the shoulder back using a body die..

I also anneal it..

then it doesn't make a difference in my opinion..

+1

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
Hello

Is there a difference in accuracy between new brass or brass that has been fired at least one time? I realize that brass that is close in weight is more accurate.

Thanks

Steve

IMO, the answer to that is; it depends upon how you resize the fired cases.

If you size the case body, all of the neck and push the shoulder back so there is no contact at the shoulder, then it is essentially the same situation as the new case. Perhaps a little less headspace, but practically the same.

If you Partial Neck size

then you are controlling the position of the case in the chamber by the unsized portion of the neck and the case body filling the chamber. This will be good as long as you are also controlling runout so the bullet will be aligned. If you have bad runout then it would be better to full length resize and let the firing pin align the case by forcing the case into the shoulder cone.

If you have a dedicated neck sizer and do not size the case body then you can have good results if your cases are good quality and do not have a lot of variance in thickness from side to side and the case necks are aligned with the centerline of the case body. If your cases are poor quality then it would be better to FL size and again let the firing pin push the shoulder cone of your case into the cone of the shoulder in the chamber and align your bullet exit that way.

If you can size the case body and leave part of the neck fire formed size and you have controlled runout, then you have the best of all worlds.

IMO. YMMV.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
New brass is less accurate for me loading 243win. as it comes in bulk packs. I do not size it if brass will chamber.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes new brass has problems that only shows up when you fire it.
Case in point is a 35 Whelen I am working on at the moment. New Remington brass and it is undersized. Firing pin hits the primer and pushes the case further into the chamber without setting off the primer. Seating the bullets out to engage the lands allows the brass to fire and then the cases are fine.
I've made it a practice over the year to NEVER use new brass for hunting loads and will continue to do so.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote