Find
Notify
Tools

280 AI Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I recently received my new custom 280 AI. I have two boxes of Berger 168 gr VLD bullets and plenty of brass. Anyone have load data for this bullet using Vihtavouri n560 or n165? I can't find anything in my manuals, online, or here. My smith is a bench shooter and set it up to shoot this bullet and these are the powders he recommended. He is away on business at the moment and I'd love to get some range time.

Thanks in advance.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use regular 280 data and work up from there; I would not take another guys load data anyway, especially for a wildcat.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
First haven't used the 168 nor either of your powders.

That said spent years using a 280AI actually my second rifle. My go too powder for accuracy and velocity was MRP. Looking at QL MRP calculates basically grain for grain with N560. QL burn rates are within .5%

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RR340

Since you have QL,
take a good look at RL-23 and RL-26,
I think you'll be surprised......

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The advice to use regular .280 loads as a starting point is a good one. Since SAAMI specs (unnecessarily) kept the .280 several thousand CUP below other modern cartridges, .280 data is generally conservative, so you can expect to work up several grains from most of the "maximum" .280 loads. However, DO work up with normal caution as custom chambers and barrels are a rule unto themselves and may vary from the typically more generous factory chambers.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don
Have to admit never used either of those powders. Looking at the QL burn rates makes me wonder?? Looking at the only articles 23 seems to be 22 but less temp sensitive.

I'm kind of at a point of my life no new rifles (ok maybe a couple) no new chambering's. Have enough primers, powder and bullets for each combination I own to last the rest of my life. Wink

I'll let my kids worry about the new stuff. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't help with that bullet weight or either powder since I settled on the 150 Nosler Ballistic tip and 65.3 grains of IMR 7977 powder and Fed GM215 magnum primers in Nosler brass. (Use caution)

This works better than great for me but that's not even close to what you were asking. Sorry.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMR 7977

Boy all these new powders. Many not on my updated QL Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have contacted Berger tech support and they said they will help. I'll pass along any info I receive.

This is the first 280 Ive loaded for. Honestly, the 168 seems heavy to me for this caliber. My smith is a bench shooter and he typically shoots heavy for caliber bullets. He recommended this bullet and set the rifle up for it when he chambered it. I have two boxes of them, but will try some lighter bullets as well.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
IMR 7977

Boy all these new powders. Many not on my updated QL Wink

I know, huh, Paul. The new stuff has this old dog shaking his head sometimes too.

A year + ago I was looking for a temp insensitive powder and found the new Enduron IMR 7977 and the specs say it's wonderful in a 7mm mag and 280 AI of which I load both. Since I needed more powder anyway I thought this would be a good chance to try it...so I bought an 8 lbs keg and have been well pleased with the accuracy and speed.

Is it temp insensitive? I dunno but my POI doesn't change when the temps do and it continues to print tiny little clusters on paper even at extended ranges and worked like a champ at 420 yards on my rocky mtn bighorn and 269 yards on my son's desert ram last year. That's hardly scientific but I feel good about it and that's what matters sometimes.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
7828 and R26 seem to be a very good powder combo for the 280AI and 150' or heavier

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote