New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 17thou' headspace excessive?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ricciardelli answered a question for me about the difference between the 6.5-284 Winchester and Norma. The Norma is 16.9thou' shorter from head to shoulder. If a rifle is chambered to just close on the go gage for the Winchester version, is the headspace going to be excessive if the Norma brass is loaded?

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the measurement to the base of the neck/shoulder junction compare? If it is similar to the other brass I would expect that to establish the chambering depth and the top of the shoulder would then fire form normally. If it is also too short you might have a problem that will require forming a false shoulder on the base of the neck to hold things back in the right place for fire forming. Maybe a gunsmith will kick in his opinion for you.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a gunsmith but I have a friend I load for with a factory winchester 300 wby. It has .030" headspace. (according to my stoney point bushing kit). I load him a couple of grains under max and they fireform fine. I have a shim kit for under the sizing die that lets me "headspace" the die without adjusting the lock ring so I can load his stuf (once fireformed) with demensions closer to his chamber. I have another friend with a custom barrel that seems to be up in the .020" diemensions. Between the shim kit for the die and the stoney point kit none of this has been a problem. Good luck

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby headspaces on the belt. Long as that is right, blowing the shoulder forward is not a problem.

6.5-284 headspaces on the shoulder and .017 is way excessive. Way to deal with that is to form from .284, adjusting dies slowly intil the case is a crush fit in the 6.5-284 chamber and then fireform. If you already have a lot of cases in the shorter version, you can run them over a 7mm expander and then size back down just as if you had started out with .284 cases.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave my best rifle too much headspace.
I lube the cases and fireform.
Then I 1/2 neck size with FL dies.

The extra step is a pain, but unless using factory ammo is a goal, it is never a big enough pain to put the barrel back in the lathe.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote