Find
Notify
Tools

416 rigby cases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know either:

A: has anyone used 338 Lapua Mag cases necked up to 416 to "recreate" the 416 rigby with a higher max pressure
OR
B: Where one can obtain stronger, custom Rigby brass with a thicker web and sidewall that can take 58,000-65,000PSI?

Posts: 54 | Location: Newport, WA-Susanville, CA | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you can get such a thing. Also can't imagine why you'd want it. A 400 gr TBBC at 2550 fps is all you'll every need.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why? Becuase I can-maybe.
That sounds a bit hot for the old beast. Is that out of the Speer manual?

Posts: 54 | Location: Newport, WA-Susanville, CA | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The LM brass has a case length of 2.71, while the Rigby is 2.90. Where you gonns get the extra .19 length from??

Now, you might be able to start with 416 Wound-a-beast cases and turn off the belt......

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Or do what I did, and buy new .416 Hornady cases Wink

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remembered the case length difference after I posted, but I can just have a custom reamer and dies made. I thought about using the Weatherby, but the rim dia. is slightly smaller, and the brass is even more expensive than 338 LM.

And Ian, aren't the Hornady cases still only rated to the same SAAMI spec for the Rigby (47,137 PSI)?