THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New double pistol and Black in a Dillon?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I got crazy and picked up another double pistol.

I cut some 45colt cases down to .93" and they chamber alright. It has quite abit of rust in the barrels, so I'm scrubbing with Ed's Red. I took a chamber cast and it looks like the case length should be about .9" with .487" at the base and .480" at the neck. It has 6 groove left hand twist. Haven't measured the rate yet. Just past the throat it is .440x.449" and about 3/4" past that it is .436x.445". I have looked in my cartriges of the world book ,but can't seem to find anything real close to this. Anybody have any ideas on which cartrige this is chambered for? I'll probably have to take a 45 lead round ball and push it all the way through the 5.5" barrels to see what the minimum measurements are. I'm thinking that the BD45 will be the boolit for this. I may just have to size it down some. Gun has Blegian proof marks. I'll have to check, but they look like the Nitro Proof marks. I'm thinking that I'll either load with Black or something really light. Thoughts here?

Also do you think that it would be okay to use black powder in the Dillon powder measure on my 550??

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat pistol you don't see many of them around. You well have finding a load to shoot in it. I find working up loads making cases part of the fun of picking up odd calibers

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There are some moving metal parts in the Dillon PM, I think I would pass on it & any powder measure for BP.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BP is so easily ignited. Check out the measures made for BP. They utilize brass to eliminate the risk of sparks. Hornady makes one as do several other companies.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great find on the double pistol. Good luck with the shooting.
Stay away from the powder throw and use the appropriate dipper. You will find it nearly as fast as a regular thrown load.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll leave the black out of the Dillon, but I can still do everything else in it. It looks like I'll be able to load with 45acp dies.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Another question. I was thinking about shooting FFFg in this, but it is Nitro proofed so what kind of pressures do you think that it could safely handle? I punched some number through quickload. Case capacity of 29.5gns H2O and a 230LRN. 11gns 2400 shows 805fps and 10.2ksi. It would seem that 10ksi would be fairly low pressure. I have the gun torn completly down at the moment cleaning and oiling it all. One of the main springs took a set, so I'll see if I can tweak it back into place. The trigger hammer sears need to be recut also.