Find
Notify
Tools

Loading 9mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys

I will be loading some 124 gr in 9 mm and have found some data for HS 7 powder. I have jug of Win 571, this is a suitable replacement for HS 7, I believe?
Just want to make sure.
Regards greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always best to use the powder the manuals suggest. That said, the only way I'd consider using what you have versus what you should be using is to look at the pressure readings for the same bullet when using the two powders. If an identical charge weight of W571 creates a great deal more pressure than does the HS7, you'll have to download the W571 to get to the HS 7 pressure. But a problem arises: Reduced loads can create far greater pressures than the correct load. Not to say W571 cannot be used as a substitute. You'll have to do some research as to how much powder (more or less) you'll have to use to get to the same pressures...

I went to ammoguide.com and of the 64 loads shown for the 124-grain 9mm bullet, I saw no loads for W571. I did see the one and only load using HS-7...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only loading data I have seen for the discontinued W571 is on Steve's pages. Here is the link for the 9mm 124 grain. It shows a tighter range for 571 than HS-7. I would work up slowly, as usual.

Steve's pages

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry

I realize that there are more suitable powders for loading handgun, just that I have many varieties of shotshell powders that aren't likely to be used.
Regards Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
9mm is to me the most difficult round to load. I got soot, poor groups and leading in combinations. And I'm a bit intimidated by the small casevolume. Faster powder next for me.

I think its healthy to stick to the manual with this one.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
+1 on 9mm being a pain to load. I don't like the small case and its difficult to get my big fat fingers in the correct spot loading it.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded some 9mm with 124 grain bullets using Winchester 231 with good results.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
HS& will work for upper end loads, best near +P levels. It's pretty slow, you'll get unburnt powder @ lower vel. levels. I would drop to WSF or Univesal, a bit faster, better for std. vel. 9mm IMO. Now HS& in the 357sig & 40 works great.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
You can safely use HS-7 data for 571, they are one and the same. The only difference you will see is the lot to lot variation.

They were both made by primex, both powders have now been discontinued. It will burn pretty clean with a max load but will be a little dirty with less than max loads.

I would use it with either 124 or 147 gr bullets.

Winchester and Hodgdon had quite a few powders that were the same over the years, now that hodgdon distributes winchester powders they even admit that some of the powers are the same

3-7-77

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, like Icemanls2, have used Winchester 231 for my 9mm with great results for the 124 gr. bullet. I shoot jacketed only so leading is not a problem for me. My fingers are big and fat too, but I have time and besides I love reloading, so I do not get in a hurry and things move smoothly for me.
Moosie

Posts: 29 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote