Find
Notify
Tools

7x65R load info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted
I just bought a BBF with 7x65R for the rifle barrel. So far, I haven't had much luck finding load data for this. I would like to start with either 150 gr Nosler E-Tips or 150 gr Barnes TSXs since I will be hunting pigs in the no lead zone in Central CA. My current powder on had includes IMR-4831, RL-15, RL-22 and IMR 4064. Does anyone have any loads to start from. Also, I wouldn't mind any leads on where to get brass. No luck with Midway or Graf.

Thanks

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your 7X65R is so much a 280 remington that it makes for same load data. I have loaded for 7X65 by using 280 remington, minus 5%, for the rimmed and samo samo for 7X64. fine cartridge.

I think you will find that RL22 will work well for you. follow the nosler book and drop down a few %.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Huntington's for brass - at least they list Norma. Sadly (and inunderstandably?) they don't list RWS brass, which would otherwise have been my first choice. But Norma is very decent as well - in particular for calibers/guns where you don't want to lean on the pressure...

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases.html

The 7x65R is spec'ed by CIP to a max pressure of 3300 Bar (7x64: 3600, .280 Rem: 3500), so go easy if you decide to use 7x64 or .280 Rem data! The issue is primarily one of protecting break-top guns (like your BBF) from shooting loose.

RWS' blue reloading manual (a standard in German speaking countries) lists a 154.3 grs jacketed soft point load (RWS brass, RWS primer) with R905 between 54.0 and 56.0 grs (max). R905 comes off the same production line as RL22 at Bofors in Sweden. It is hard to get a handle on whether the two powders are identical, but I have had Hercules (selling RL powders before Alliant) suggest I use RL22 load data for R905 - AS LONG AS ONE WORKS UP CAREFULLY FROM BELOW.

For a 150 grs Nosler BT load (case and primer unknown) QuickLoad suggests a max of 55.5 grs of RL22 to stay below 3300 Bar. For the same max pressure, IMR 4831 is listed at max 51.5 grs, IMR 4064 at a max of 44.0 grs.

Another (German) manual (Roland Zeitler's "Wiederladen für Jagd und Sport"), lists a 150 grs Nosler BT load (RWS brass, CCI BR2) at a max of 53.0 grs IMR 4350.

Hornady's Fourth Edition reloading manual lists 7x65 R reloading data - but the data was developed for a bolt action rifle, so should probably be REDUCED for a break-top gun. The load for a 154 grs bullet (RWS brass, Fed 210 primer) was listed between 49.4 and 55.6 grs of IMR 4831, or 43.0 and 46.3 grs of IMR 4064.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cornfield,

According to my version of Quick Load and your preferences for bullets and available powders with the Barnes 140 gr. TXS's 'twood appear that RL-22 is not only a good start but probably where you ought to be & end up.

I've loaded the Hornady 154 gr. RN's and Sierra 140 gr. SPBT's for a friend but then again the only Condor we have flying the Sky here in The Fatherland is a Lufthansa relic....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info on the loads. Looks like I have enough to start with once I get components, dies and gun together.

I looked as Grafs again and see that they have Privi Partisan ammo in 7x65R for about $15/box. The bullets won't work for hunting here, but I've heard the brass is decent enough for the lower volume shooting I'll be doing. Three or four boxes should get me comfortable with the rifle and give me a decent supply of brass to start playing with.

Thanks to all.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
I use it for hunting heavier european game, for 154 Interbonds I use 50grs of Tu7000 (Vectan) and I have great accuracy and no problems even on heavy wildboar. Before I used for HDB Reichenberg bullets (all cooper) AA4350 powder. If you want, I can search in my files.

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote