New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost River Balistic Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from the range after testing the LRB bullets. So far, not impressed. I'm shooting a Winchester Model 70 with a PacNor, #7, super match stainless barrel, in 6.5/06 with a 1-8" twist. I was shooting five shot groups at 500 meters to test some loads. 139gr Lapua Scenar shot 2.8", 140gr A-Max 3.2", and the 132 LRB J-40 shot a 15.3". That was the smallest group for testing this bullet with three different powders. I was told the 1-8" twist would stabilize the 132gr LRB J-40 bullet. It didn't. The bullets did not keyhole but they wouldn't stay in a group. They did shoot about 10" higher on the target but they wouldn't group. At $15 for 20 bullets, I think I'll pass on trying to do any more load testing.

Been there, done that, I'll pass

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I try to keep a couple of points in perspective.

1- Bullets are ultimatley a chunk of metal for blasting out the end of your bbl to more often than not, end up rotting disfigured in a pile of dirt forevermore. The few that actually do the killing are the exception.

2- In the right measure, the cheapest of brands will still kill the toughest of animals, so why get carried away? At nearly a buck a pop I can save enough $ for another rifle or hunting tag fairly quick.

Happy hunting.. [Smile]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
TBD - If you will do a search, LRB bullets have been discussed several times. Your observations and impressions are not usual with LRB. I don�t know too many folks who tried them and liked them.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog (Big),
The 8" ywist will stabilize the 132s alright but I would be surprised if they shot well. I found I could get them to shoot good three shot groups from a clean barrel but ten shot groups were laughable. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote