Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle vs. Pistol Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
Obviously, this hasn’t been much of an issue until now but I’m in the situation where I could use pistol primers where I would normally use a rifle primer.
Fortunately, I found some small pistol primers on the store shelf today (Scheels at $3.99/100ct) and am wondering, what the limitations on using these primers are?

I am an enthusiast of Rook Rifles and shooting rifles chambered in pistol cartridges.

My assumption is that low pressure pistol/rook cartridges will do just fine with a pistol primer depending on firing pin design and hammer spring strength (regarding possibility of primer puncture).

Am I correct in my understanding that pistol primers are simply made of thinner material to allow a pistol’s firing pin to ignite the primer with a strike that is lighter than a rifle’s hammer strike?

Posts: 3323 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure there's much difference in cup thickness/hardness of standard small rifle primers and standard small pistol primers. Different brands might vary some bit. However, to be on the safe side, I would limit the pressures when used for a rifle cartridge to the upper limit for most high-intensity handgun cartridges. I've used them in .22 Hornets at around 40K -- 45K PSI. I doubt you would have any trouble with them in a Rook Rifle cartridge.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut pistol primers off at about 40-K.
they will take a little more, but that's my rule of thumb.

as a precaution I'd snap a couple off in the rifle in question the SP's are a little shorter.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I recall reading the only difference
between them is how long the fire lasts.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My assumption is that low pressure pistol/rook cartridges will do just fine with a pistol primer depending on firing pin design and hammer spring strength (regarding possibility of primer puncture).

I do not change a thing when loading for my pistol caliber carbines.

If the cartridges call for a pistol primer I load a pistol primer.

It would not brother me to use them in similar pressured rounds.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small rifle and small pistol primers are the same height. Large rifle primers are a bit taller(.123) than large pistol primers (.115). I have used large pistol primers in a rifle with no ignition problems but you could run into problems going the other way.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always thought that pistol primers were thinner because of smaller/potentially weaker ignition systems. I have no data to back that up. It must exist somewhere. And I do what Stone said; limit them to 40K stuff. And I do use pistol primers in black powder cartridges like 45-70 and 40-65 without issue.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starline makes a couple of cases for large handgun rounds cut for LR primers. I read plenty of posts from shooters who use LP primers in these cases with no firing issues.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use small rifle primers in my .218 Bee---No Problem, very accurate! In some of my rifle calibers (.30-30 .35 Rem. 45-70 .30-06 (med loads) and most of my cast bullet plinking/practice loads
and any fouling shots I use CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers due to the fact that I have 7-8 thousand of them. They shoot fine for what I use them for. They do SEAT DEEPER in the case though. They do react like the cups are thinner!
WATCH FOR PIERCED PRIMERS !!!

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I have also found that small pistol primers work very well with "rook" type cartridges and others like 25-20, 32-20, 22 Hornet and 218 Bee. I figure if small pistol primers are rated for 9mm Luger and even 357 Sig, they're tough enough for those mentioned above.

I have also used large pistol primers for various older, low-pressure rifle rounds with great success, either with black powder or with low pressure smokeless loads. A couple of rifles that come to mind were both hammer rifles with rather anemic mainsprings or bad firing pin geometry; they wouldn't reliably ignite large rifle primers, but worked great with large pistol primers even though the LP primers have a shorter cup.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the point being?? I use rifle primers in rifles and pistol primers in pistols..I do believe that standard 210 are as good as 215s, and couldn't prove any difference in testing, Never the less I have always used magnum primers in magnum caliber rifles and standards in non belted calibers without problems.

I have never had problems with ball powders and std. 210 primers and its a printed no no in many magazines. In fact I get better accuracy using std primers with H414, ww760,CFE-223, H322, H335 to name a few.. Got one ignition problem with a too lite charge of H322 and H335, upped both 1.5 and 2 grs and the problem went away.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the real point is "YOU GOTTA USE WHUT YA HAV"! Confused

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a very good article in depth article on primers in CBA's "The Fouling Shot" No. 270 (Mar-Apr 2021).

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a situation years ago where a friend's '92 Winchester in .44-40 would not stabilize bullets loaded with pistol primers, but the same load worked perfectly with rifle primers.

It was probably an effect caused by the specific powder used (Somchem S265) being pretty hard to ignite, but this powder is probably not found in the US.

I guess there's no harm in trying.

Posts: 504 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 44-40 and 38-40 are suggested to use standard rifle primers, even if shot in a pistol. I use FEd 210s in my 38-40..

I suppose if it could get to the point where some will have to use what they can get..

In my case, I'll just have to shoot up what I have loaded, that should take me another 86 years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote