New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate hunting load for 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What could be an accurate load for a .223 in a contender for for on roes deer(about 60lb)?
Thanks

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 52 gr serria match's in all my 223 with bal-c2 wc844 or h335 they all shoot under .5 in groups.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd look pretty hard at the Nosler partition (60 gr) over something like H322. Of course, if you can get the TBBC over there, that would even be "more better". A third would be the 53 gr. XLC Barnes. Only if you can't get any of those, would I look another bullet. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
On the small roe deer, the 60 grain Partition will give you plenty of expansion and more than adequate penetration.

I'd stay away from the Barnes as you may get inconsistent performance ( read that as minimal expansion) on the roe deer, which offers little resistance for proper "X" bullet upset.

In the .223 and wildcats based on this case, nothing has performed better than H-335. I've used more of this powder in the .223 family than all other powders combined. You can't go wrong with it...

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious how if you call a 40 lb animal a "varmint" that it is fine to shoot it with any old .224" bullet, but if you call it a "deer" then it requires something heavier, more exotic, and more expensive in a bullet.

Shoot whatever 55 grain bullet does well in your .223. The Sierra flat base is okay, while the Hornady has a reputation for holding together a bit better. I would assume that when hunting roe for meat or market, that you would seek to take behind-the-shoulder chest shots. The rib meat lost on a roe from even the most explosive bullet is negligible on such shot (since even if you lost all of the meat on both ribcages, you haven't lost anything on a roe).

Anyway, H-335 (WC-844) was developed for the .223 and is hard to beat. The fact is, though, that 4895, 4064, 4320, BL-C2, Varget, 3031, N-133 and N135, and a whole host of other powders generally also do well in the .223. I doubt you can find a powder/bullet combination that is not acceptable (just stay away from bulk Remington and Winchester bullets, which are extremely inconsistent in ogive and cannelure).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
StoneCreek-
It's not that a roe deer requires a heavier or tougher bullet to kill it. But the 60 grain Partition will get the job done with minimal fuss -- and less bloodshot meat than a more frangibile varmint bullet.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote