New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the deep-shok back in production?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well? I knew it was difficult to get and Speer had discontinued it but now it appears on the current Speer web site and catologs. Personally I felt a bit guilty when I bought the last 5 boxes from Midway but the performance has been worth the guilt. It has proven to be soft enough to show lots of expansion on deer yet tough enough to make it through some pigs in the 250lb range. I would love to post pictures but I still havent recovered one. For info Im pushing it our of a .308 at about 2700fps.
When I heard it was going to be pulled I strongly suspected management was not happy that a "cheap" bullet was producing better field results than those costing significantly more (i.e Trophy bonded)

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Todd, call Speer... I'd be curious to know... the DS is one whale of a bullet!

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I called Speer shortly after their introduction and the scuttlebutt about them being discontinued began. They confirmed that they were indeed being discontinued, yet they continue to appear in some catalogs.. Id like to know myself if they have a chance of remaining on the shelf. I wish they made more of them for other calibers, fantastic bullets!!

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I wondered when Speer first came out with Deep shock bullets if they had room for both the DS and Grand Slam? The Deep Shock is going for $4.00 more than the GS in my catalog up here in Can. Both are 50 count.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Deep shocks are sold in lots of 100. Anyone who has purchaced a box can vouch for that, including myself. This misinformation has surfaced before, I believe it was from Midways add??

I figured that the problems were that of the legal sort, since the bullets were previously sold via another ammo mfr. I believe it was Federal..?? When I asked Speer for the reason they were discontinued they declined to comment.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
It seems that Whole Sale Sports up here in Canada has made the same mistake in their catalog. This makes it a great value then and I may try these in my 308 Win.

I know the closest shop to me has some in 270.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wondered when Speer first came out with Deep shock bullets if they had room for both the DS and Grand Slam?

As I recall, it was Federal that initially brought out the Deep-Shok, not Speer. Then when Blount sold everything to ATK, the Deep-Shok got moved under Speer, for some reason.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok ,I emailed speer this morning and will will post the results as soon as I hear something.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
per Guy Neil the deep shok is deep sixed and will not be revived in the future. The website is out of date and it will not appear in any future literature. As of now there are no plans to offer the deep shok design through any other names or manufactures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Thanks for info. The Deep-Shok has been the "great bullet that never was". It just got lost in the corporate shuffle and product mix at Speer/Federal. Pity.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased some .308 165g Deep Shok's from Graf's on Monday that are on closeout. You better hurry if interested.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote