Find
Notify
Tools

Is MatchKing a hunting bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted

We need to get things hopping again, so, I was wondering if using the Sierra MatchKing for long range chipmunk/armadillo hunting would be a good idea. Thoughts/comments?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Did we not go thru this? No it is not....NUFF SAID!!

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Oh, no! Not again! This was the thread that probably killed the server!

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
stans

more than likely

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Brad338>
posted
I refused to post on the last MatchKing thread and will not post on this one...oops!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine used them with great sucess on axis deers.
l don't post in the first one so I'll not loose a second chance
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
YOU BET CHA

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

<David King>
posted
Okay, I'm back on-line but with a new username. (I'm sure my evil twin screwed the system up somehow, probably with help from Walter and the dog.)

I'm heading out in two days to kill some black bear with MatchKings, if they don't work I'd expect the black bears will post the reason(s).

posted Hide Post
The Matchkings oughta work great for chipmunks. They are little critters though. Do you have a rifle accurate enough to be able to hit 'em past field goal range?

Posts: 12 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matchkings. I think I'll wait for page 36.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot an axis axis (hog deer) this year with a Matchking in 7mm at 307yds and it caused a lot of meat damage. Through both shoulders and out the other side having expanded nicely. According to some it should have stayed in the one shoulder or drilled a hole, but I'm pleased to say it performed as I expected.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried them on game but The military was using them for "special purpose" reasons.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
They use them for thier .308 match ammo aka.m852 Sierra 168 gr hpbt

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last night around 10:45PM(Canada) ,I posted a reply on the MK thread,the reply was lost and also 2 pages,before that reply everything was fine...Dave good hunting and let us know is they are "barely"dead or completly dead.Have a good time...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Howitzer3>
posted
Rejpelly, Since when did Canada go to one time zone and why wasn't I informed.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I use Matchkings for hunting and they work flawlessly.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Howitzer3>
posted
Just point the hollow point away from yourself when grinding them in half (scientific purposes only) right "David" King.

------------------
regards Howitzer

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Dave
Was that your trigger finger that you burnt?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
RejPelly

No problem, I leave this Thursday (U.S. calendar ) and I'm reasonably sure I'll be hunting bear (?) Saturday evening. I'll get some pictures and post a few notes about the MatchKings perfomance. (No, no bare pictures!)

Howitzer3 & John Y Cannuck

I guess it just not safe having the pointy end of a MatchKing aimed at anything.

No, it wasn't my trigger finger (thank God), that finger can't afford any more damage. I cut the end off it as a young kid (reel style lawn mower) and then in my teen years cut the distal pad (fingerprint area) off on some broken glass. It's a mess but REAL sensitive and just the right length.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you hunt with it; its a hunting bullet.
(there are better, thogh.)
If not; its not a hunting bullet.

------------------
If you dont shoot, you'll never hit!!

Arild.
(still a NRA member.)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey, where did the original "MatchKing" thread go?? It looks like everything else has been more or less restored, except that one. I suspect evil forces!!

Last thing I remember is Dave King talking about some lady doing something to his testicles, then, 'poof', everything disappeared. I think that digital visualization was too much for Saeed's server to handle, Dave.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
R-West

It's still here (just invisible) and apparently not reindexed.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003036-36.html

for page 36, for the others just edit the -36 to indicate the desired page.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
No the Matchking is not a good hunting bullet, the Hollow Point Boat-Tailed Matchking, now that is a good hunting bullet.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Hell, here we go again

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
Okay

Made it back in one piece after getting a nice bear with a 175gr. 30cal. MatchKing. I have a few pictures and also entry and exit wound pictures that I'll post in a few days (?).

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Dave,you got an exit wound with a MK??????Bear must not be as tough as a dillo.... [Big Grin] [Wink]

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Good job, Dave. So, I guess we'll add bears (at least that one) to the list of game animals that think the MK IS a hunting bullet?

[Smile] Boyd - The PA 'dillo subspecies is a LOT tougher than the common Texas ones (the cold winters we have makes their coat thicker) [Smile]

R-WEST

<Don Martin29>
posted
A 168 gr Sierra .308" Matchking fired into water filled paper cartons at 2950 impact velocity resulted in a jacket weight of 27 grs and one piece of lead found at 48.5 grs.

The pieces were found in the 5th carton. Typical hunting bullets make it into 6 to 9 cartons.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
crickets chirping

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<abnrigger>
posted
It’s a match bullet that's where the Match in Matchking comes from. It’s made for poking holes in paper, not animal hides. That doesn't mean it won't kill stuff. There are many cheaper bullets that will kill stuff just as dead and more reliably (expansion wise) than Matchkings will.

<David King>
posted
More chirping follows:

Here's the MatchKing bear picture, I'll add the entry and exit wound photos later.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/34840855/39905873uUhjaC

or for additional picts

http://community.webshots.com/album/34840855rsZNtP

Additional info: I don't shoot MatchKings because they're cheap, I shoot them because they're accurate and I have a lot of actual trajectory data with them. They're adequate for the hunting shots I take and they've proven themselves to be effectively deadly. Not a justification, just info so you'll know that I know that I'm embarking upon when using them as a hunting bullet.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Has anyone been converted from one side to the other after the thousand post thread? This is not only about matchkings, it's as much about long range hunting. Does anyone ever get sick of arguing this crap? It seems the long rangers cry foul the loudest, yet I always see the same names on different boards just itching to get in another matchking/longrange hunting debacle. And yes their detracters are there as well. And I thought I liked to argue, ah I mean debate. [Razz]
dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave great bear hunt using MK,using a.308 Winchester I dont quite fellow you,even so at 15 yards, a bear still a dangerous game,considering "angle" of the shot,why didnt you use the .338 RUM, or a caliber more powerfull than the .308.Is "David" was with you [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote