New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aframes and Barnes BS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any luck getting 400 gr a frames and Barnes banded solid 400 to same POI?
.416 rem mag, IMR 4064
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Likely not exact same 100 yd POI maybe close. My 416 RM with 340gr CEB and 350gr TTSX same powder charge -

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Leonard:
Anyone have any luck getting 400 gr a frames and Barnes banded solid 400 to same POI?
.416 rem mag, IMR 4064
Scott

Depends on what you consider the same POI.

One inch, two inches?

First of all why do you want solids?

Unless you are hunting elephants, there is absolutely no need for solids any more.

The Swifts are more than good enough for anything.

And shooting with 2 inches at 100 yards should be enough if you are hunting elephants, as you will be shooting at much shorter distance.

Some rifles will put different billets to the same POI.

Others won't.

Built a 416 Rigby Improved.

Fired 3 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

All three made one ragged hole.

I took the same cases, resized them and same powder charge, then seated 400 grains Barnes Super Solid Brass bullets.

Fired them at the same group.

Got a 0.7" group of all six bullets.

Stopped right there, and took that rifle on safari.

That load is the only one it ever has.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why Aframes and solids?
Cuz Buzz told me to bring them.
Thinking I'll start at 76gr IMR 4064 with 400 Swifts and 75.5 with 400 BBS.
I've not found data for BBS and IMR 4064.
I have 3 lb 4064 and 4350 and want to get started. (still waiting on Swifts)
Any warnings or recommendations appreciated.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have never had a Barnes monolithic of any diameter print anywhere near a bullet of another brand in any rifle I have shot them in.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to get tsx and bbs to print together. Also easy to get CEB paired raptors and solids to print together.

I would get the AFrame load like I wanted and then try the bbs and see where it went. I pefer CEB solids and would try them too. They are a superior design to bbs anyway but gives you another option to get to shoot to same POI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly Ive had my best luck with woodleighs, the solid usually smacks center with 1 gr. less or 2 in some rifles, but thats old school bullets, still may be the best out there..My 450-400 and 416 REm. both printed the woodleigh 450 soft and solid to the same POI at one inch high for the soft and center for the solid..

Whatever, you have to work up what works in your rifle all the advise is for our rifles, and thats not any help to you. Rifles are an entity unto themselves, a miracle and/or a disaster of vibes.

I had my best consistency with switching bullets with RL-15 so your 4350 might be your best bet..

But if your going to Africa, I use the Swift or the Barnes, see no reason to use both, the both accomplish the same thing, one is not better than the other, they are both buffalo ready! I used them both on Hippo, Buffalo, PG..

I always take 10 solids, mostly because I might get an invite to shoot a rogue elephant or a Hippo, other than that they are not needed, todays soft are best on buffalo, Lion, and Leopard if one only takes one gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift Aframes and Hornady solids IMR4064 shoot POI, same load, In 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

Reduced Barnes BSS 2 grains and had to slow them down even more. .5 gr increments. Shot so many I had to buy more solids. Had great results with 375 so ordered Hornady solids.
416 Bullets group touching at 50,
Aframes and solids (.5" left.)
375 2" total for both at 100.
.375 H&H -Hor brass Fed 215, 64 gr. IMR4064.
.416 Rem Mag- Morma brass, Fed 215, 73 gr. IMR4064.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind thats in your gun, someone elses gun has different vibes and results in many, if not most ocassions..This is something each person needs to deal with prior to a safari, remember barrels are an enity unto themselves. the bench rest is your guarentee to a successful safari..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote