New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458" bulets with High BC's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if there bullets in .458 with high BC's or what .458" cal bullets have the highest BC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The pointy bullets have the highest BC. Those would be Barnes & Woodleigh. I personally like the Australian Woodleigh bullets the best.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

we are looking att he steyr HS .460 reifles which are .50 BMG's necked to .458 and wondering if there where infact heavier higher BC match style bullets out there which this caliber would probably need I think.

I use woodleigh bullets quite a bit in my .458 lott and yes there excellent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the velocity a necked down 50 will drive a .458 bullet I would stick with Barnes type, ie mono metal.

Is the case shortened at all?

Have you looked at the 416 Barrett?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
At the velocity a necked down 50 will drive a .458 bullet I would stick with Barnes type, ie mono metal.

NE yeah I have looked at the .416 Barret but these Steyr HS rifles only come in .50 BMG or .460 Steyr. I have asked whether they could be chambered in .510 DTC to beat bull shit regs in our country.............we can own on the state of Victroia but you can't take it to QLD. (pain in the ass) Roll Eyes but a .510 DTC beats all that crap as you know.

For us it has to be the styer HS rifle be it in .50 BMG .460 Steyr or possibly .510 DTC if the factory will do them in that chambering. I do not want to complicate things any more than those three choices. These rifles are the only brand getting imported to Australia, by a large importer (winchester Australia) and it just makes everything convenient and easy.

I am wondering how hard is it to have some HIgh BC .458 bullets made perhaps here in Oz.

I think the .460 Steyr shoudl potentially our perform the Barret .416 due to a little more surface area/bore ratio etc. asssuming of course the case is not shortened to much. Just getting data on this .460 steyr round is hard. Apparently .460 Steyr rifles have hit the states and people have them but don't have ammo Big Grin

I have no idea about case specs hoping you'd know NE Big Grin

Got 150 BMG cases the other day and it just looks like so much fun Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Case specs from Scott S

PC,

The information I have is this:

COL: 5.039"
Case length: 3.543"
Base to shoulder: 3.007"
Shoulder angle: 28 deg
Case volume: 264 gr of water

You are correct in that it is based off of the 50 BMG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

GS and Lost River Ballstics I believe.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScottS:
PC,

GS and Lost River Ballstics I believe.