Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant Powder availability?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I went into my local Cabela's today looking for some RL-7 powder for my .223. I found two one pound cans for $23.99 each and bought them both. One of the guys working there came up to me and said that they had another one pound can on the shelf if I wanted it, to which I declined.

Earlier in the day I went into Sportsman's Warehouse and found about 3 cans TOTAL in the whole store with very limited primers and bullets. Cabela's seem to have all the bullets available and some primers.

Questions:

1. What is the powder and primer availability in your area?

2. How long will the problem persist before we see normal stocking of powder and primers?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Powder selection has been poor here. In our Sportsman's Warehouse, they only get what is shipped from their central warehouse which is a very small selection. Not a good situation. I'm going to Cabela's in Ft. Worth later this week and will see what their's looks like.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bass PRO Shops in Orlando seems to be getting out of the reloading business. Gander Mtn. in Ocala has very limited component inventory and Sptms Whse in Tallahassee was down to bare bones New Years weekend.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
San Antonio Sportsmen's Warehouse is just about an empty big box. NO powder, no primers (only few pistol), very low on bullet selection, SAD Day if you reload. Oh, NO brass.

"Truck comes on Thursday"! Yeah, right!!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
BassPro in Baltimore has limited powder selection and primers available on a limited, often out of stock, basis. I was told they do not carry RL-15. I stock up on primers at gun shows when I see them just to make sure I have what I need.

Cabela's in Ft Worth was really low on powders last week and no RL-15.

Cabela's in Hamburg, PA was very low on powder yesterday with only about 10 bottles on the shelf and no RL-15.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's in Ft Worth has been out of a lot lately. A couple weeks ago I asked for 5 different powders and they were out of all of them. Low on primers and a lot of bullets as well.

Last weekend I asked for a pound of win 768, the guy came out of the back with it, gave it to me and said "lucky man", so I don't think it's improved much.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

It could be all related to the economy. All these big chains cutting back on inventory. The cabelas in Ft Worth and the Basspro shop in Grapevine Texas have both reduced inventory on about everything in the store. When I was over there earlier this week it appeared they were taking inventory.
Every business is scaling back including the hunting business.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check here see if what you want is available . http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

My concern as of late is this ammunition laser engraving nonsense , which is circling the country .

It just goes to show you what lengths the demented minds of legislative idiots will go to

to ban firearms . It amounts too the same thing , a gun isn't much good without ammo .

I read some silly proposal or attached amendment that ALL hand loaded ammo was to be used up by

2011 !. The late Charlton Heston's NRA Motto comes to mind . Along with my neighbors

" Come and Get it " !. Maybe it's part of the reason many things seem to be in shorter supply ! ??.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I hadn't been having any trouble getting the powder I want here in SE Oklahoma, but then, both stores in McAlester that sell powder are out of Reloader 22, but keep saying they can get it, but they keep on not getting it. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if there really is something to this powder shortage thing. Went in yesterday to get some IMR 4831 and they were out of it, too. Coincidence? Maybe it will all be in next week. I hope so.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote