Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading bench on carpet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted
I wanted to put my reloading bench in a room with carpet on the floor. I went around looking at pictures of other reloading benches and they all seemed to be on concrete. I was concerned about spilling powder and such. Does anyone think that having a reloading bench on carpet poses a problem? thanks in advance

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
my room has carpet, been there for 25years or so. just keep it clean. I have had no problems with static or other wise.
The carpet is a cheap indoor out door mmore like a flat rug.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
The worst hazzard is stepping on a #$567 DANG !!spent primer, hidden like a mine in the fuzz while in your sock feet. OUCH! How do they get there?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Mine is on carpet. The wife may not like the live primers in the vacuum Smiler

I've luckily only sucked one live primer into the vacuum and also luckily it was me vacuuming.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My setup is in the garage & I put down indoor/outdoor carpet. It vacumns easily & is abit softer than the bare concrete if I drop something. Static elec. is almost non existant.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
The carpet is bedroom carpet, it is going in my old room at my parent's house. I don't think static would be a problem, but I wanted to check because I didn't want a surprise.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strawman419:
The carpet is bedroom carpet, it is going in my old room at my parent's house. I don't think static would be a problem, but I wanted to check because I didn't want a surprise.

This bench has been on this carpet for 5 years now, and the bench before it, on different carpet was there for 10 years with no problems. Static electricity has never been a problem.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
Well, I think it is settled, I won't be concerned with the carpet. I'll just be excited because it will be my first time reloading. Thanks everyone for their advice today and in the future, I am a young shooter and I love the wealth of knowledge on this site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3X5'area rug in front of my bench. It works great for several reasons. Helps keep the old feet warm in the winter. Pads the old feet from the concrete. When you invariably drop the sized, primed case because of fat fingers it won't dent the neck.And it is also easy to take out side and beat the hell out of it when you get mad. Better to do that than the wife and kids or the dog. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've luckily only sucked one live primer into the vacuum and also luckily it was me vacuuming.

Reloader

did it pop???

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I am a carpet cleaner by trade, I have had carpet in both my reloading rooms. just use a good vac on it from time to time, you should be fine, also if you use a chair with rollers make sure and put down a plastic office type protector over the carpet this will do the most damage if you don't have it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea to have a bench on carpet especially if one spills powder or primers not always easy to find and could present a danger when vacuming my bench is in my gargage on a concrete floor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading on carpet, spilling powder, spilling live primers, and vacuuming it up when it gets deep.

So far, no problems the vacuum couldn't take.
The primers make allot of noise in the vacuum, but that is rattling, not exploding.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
...if you use a chair with rollers....

Anyone ever roll over a primer?

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Nah! Never rolled over a primer whilst lounging about in the ammo production chair. Put them in upside-down, sideways, crushed a few. THe WORST was stepping on that dang! 7 1/2 small rifle primer sock footed as noted above. It did proove however, that a Remington 7 1/2 cannot be fired by a sock foot 7 1/2.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purposely put an area rug under my reloading bench for the reasons posted above. Been vacuuming it for years, powder, primers, whatever, the primers sound exciting but haven't popped one yet. I doubt the turbo action of a vacuum could/would actually ignite a primer and any powder would be so diluted by the other crud in the vacuum it couldn't do anything.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
did it pop???

Yep, and don't see all these fuss and myths behind it. Just a pop not even as loud as a 22 short.

Have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep I did one a couple weeks ago. Not that loud a pop but did leave a black mark on the carpet that I had to clean. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personaly like a soild floor cement or wood. I don't think I would put one on carpet.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I have been loading on carpet, spilling powder, spilling live primers, and vacuuming it up when it gets deep.

So far, no problems the vacuum couldn't take.
The primers make allot of noise in the vacuum, but that is rattling, not exploding.

Been on a nice thick pile carpet for years and years--experience same as tnekkcc's

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for many years on carpet in the loading room. I also load during milder weather in the garage which is a concrete floor. Rattle of spent primers makes a big racket.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As noted above, carpet keeps dropped cases and lead bullet noses from being damaged. Small parts also don't bounce and roll as far, thus are easier to retrieve. Bare concrete, hardwood, tile, carpet -- any are fine, just depends on your preference.

BTW- I do my oiling, cleaning, and solvent use in the garage workshop. Any of these can leave nasty spots on carpet.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote