New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck not gripping bullet tight enough?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using SB, RCBS .300 Win. Mag. dies for years, however, when I loaded the last batch of bullets (180-grain Nosler Partitions), it seemed like the bullets were seating awfully loose, so I pinched one and pushed. Low and behold, it slid back into the case.

Now, this was the first time I ever lubed the inside of the case mouth before before sizing. Could this cause loose necks?

Is this a die problem or a case problem?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen, it is either operator error... the die needed to be screwed down just a hair more...

I've had this happen to just a few cases out of a batch of say 20 also... on the one's that happened with, the neck thickness was just a hair less than the others... so tightening down the sizing die just a little more el9minated the problem...

When I have Lee Dies in that caliber, I use the neck sizer die to do that instead of the full length die... I also have broken off the decapping pin on purpose so I can do this, when the problem arises..

It is an extra step, but for safety's sake, I deprime all brass using a Universal DeCapping Die...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeIf I were experiencing what you are:
  • I would polish my expander down about .001"
  • Forget the inside neck lube if possible. Eeker

Make sure as you remove the case from the sizing die that you get a feeling that your expander is doing something. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I believe you have a case problem. I have run across this before, where after resizing, cases expanded back acting as if no sizing had occurred.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    leon - after you've reloaded the cases over 50 times and scotch taped the neck cracks up, you just gotta expect some freeplay

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of ramrod340
    posted Hide Post
    I've had the issue with work hardened brass. Have you tried annealing them?

As usual just my $.02
    Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    problem is the brass is work heardened as mentioned. anneal it and problem will go away.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote