Find
Notify
Tools

trophy bonded and the 22 cal.
 Login/Join

<oneshot>
posted
i posted this under "small calibers" with 0 luck , so here i go again
Has anyone out there tried the 55 grs. trophy bonded bearclaw in their 22-250, 223 or 220 swift ?
Intended use was small deer and similar sized animals.
I have given up on the 60 grs. nosler part. it simply won`t shoot accurately enough for any hunting situation in my sako 22-250 with 1:14 twist.
what accuracy can i expect from the bearclaw compared to other less "sophisticated" bullets. So far i have used 55 grs. Sierra gamekings and i`m quite happy about them but they are a bit on the soft side.
So please share your favorite Trophy bonded load for the 22-250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
oneshot,
I have tried them on my single shot Blaser k77 rifle, in 5,6x50R.
Never tried them on deer since I could not get them to group at all.
Nosler's 60 grainer were quite accurate but would not kill as quickly as the non premiums. Shooting even small deer with such a cartridge requires to pick your shots very carefully and under such conditions bullets like the Hornady 60gr SP are much better killers.
I had a disappointing experience with a large wildboar I shot with the Partition as it resulted in a small entrance and a small exit hole with vwery little damage in between requiring a long tracking job.
A broadside shot in the ribs with the Hornady and all the game I have shot was meat in the pot.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
OneShot - I have a friend that have a .220 Swift with 1-12" barrel.

In his rifle the Bearclaws group as good as v-max and Ballistic tips. It shot around an ince pr. 100 m in his rifle.

The only thing that combo have shot so far is a fallow calf (in a deer farm). The load was crono for app. 1050 m/s. The calf was hit through the lung at 60 m or so took three steps and fell over - dead.

If the 60 partition want work in my .222 rem (which I don't caunt on) I'll go for the bearclaw myself.

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a couple of whitetail with them out of a 222 and have witnessed their use on Blesbok out of a 22-250...They we're Ok, but not impressive..They gave up what kills with a hi vel caliber, the violet expansion....

I settled on the 60 gr. Hornady Hollow Point many years ago ( and the SP )....They never fail and kill fast...Mostly pass throughs and if you recover one on the off side skin they are little flat mushrooms everytime...they work in the 222, 223 and 22-250...I have used them to cull Springbok, Blesbok, and Kudu cows...I have shot quite a few Mule deer and Whitetail deer with them..I like the Sierras pretty well but they don't compare to this Hornady bullet in the hot 22's.

One must always keep in mind that these calibers do not leave very good blood trails and should only be used in open country...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<oneshot>
posted
Thanks for your inputs guys it`s really great to hear from someone who actually have tried some of the special bullets for the 22 calibers that were not just meant for warmints.
I have a box of 60 grs hornaday SP, haven`t seen any HP`s yet and i will give them a chance to prove themselves.
Ray : should i try to drive the hornadays at full vel from a 22-250. or keep them at modest speeds ?
I have loaded up some Bearclaws that should give me around 3500 fps which is close to what Mads mentioned and i hope they will perform just as well as in the 220 , althoug my Sako is a 1:14.
I am surprised that your blaser wont handle the Bearclaws Montero and your field experience with the partition just confirms what i have heard from other hunters about this bullet ( in this caliber)
More inputs will be appreciated.

Karsten