New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpro-user friendly?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This Magpro powder is frustrating the heck out of me. These damn little balls of powder stick to everything. Once I get a charge weighed out and go to pour it in the case/powder funnel, some of the powder always clings to the funnel (and clings tight, it don't just come loose with a little tapping). It also sticks to the powder measure, powder trickler, so on and so forth. It seems the more frustrated and madder I get the more and tighter them little powder ball bastards want to stick. Every time I fool with the stuff, I end up with it all over the bench top and floor from tapping and beating on everything. (Reminds me of roofing tar, it is impossible to open the can without getting the damn stuff on you.) Is this just some more of my luck and reloading bliss, or do other people that use Magpro have similar experiences?? If so, some solutions would sure be helpful.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This Magpro powder is frustrating the heck out of me.

, or do other people that use Magpro have similar experiences?? If so, some solutions would sure be helpful.

YEP! The granules are so small they seem unusually prone to static cling. I never wipe out my funnels, and the graphite coating most powders have builds up, eliminating static problems in the funnel.

I also end up with it everywhere. Since most cartridges have compressed max loads with it, it is really easy to spill while tapping/settling...and spillage is never a good thing.

Finally, I never could get better than average accuracy, and the last 25fps just weren't worth the hassle. More mess, more hassle, more recoil (noticably excessife for the minimal velocity gain), less accuracy...not a winning combination. I gave up and put the remains of mine in the back of the loading shelf. Good luck!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I feel your exact pain. I recently bought a Savage .270 WSM and my intention was to use it for LR deer so I wanted to use 140's stoked with Magpro as that seems to be the magical combination. 2-5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards was not very satisfactory, but I was getting 3400fps out of the MAX loads. I to found that Magpro is a real big pain in the ass, and I hope that whichever load my .270 WSM likes, it WILL NOT be with Magpro powder. Like you say, it clings and sticks to everything. I hate working with that powder. I to find myself wiping the top and vacuming the floor more often than not with Magpro. The only benefit I can see of this powder is that its giving me an honest 100fps faster than any other powder for 140's.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hermiston, OR | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of funnel do you use, or what do you do about the powder sticking in the funnel? This eats on me more than anything, as I am not sure how much of the weighed charge I get into the case, and consistancy from case to case is impossible to achieve.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Felcher, Here are a couple of tricks to try:

1. Wipe the inside of the plastic funnel and plastic Powder Tube on the Powder Measure with a Fabric Softener Sheet (or anything else it is sticking too).

2. Coat the inside of the plastic pieces with a liquid dishwashing soap and allow it to totally dry on the plastic without rinsing it off.

That should whip the "sticking" (due to static) for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the stickiest powder I've ever used. Wait until you try and pull a loaded compressed charge! It has given me the best velocity and good accuracy in my Sako 300 WSM......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not had the problems with MagPro listed here but all my stuff is well coated with graphite or whatever. But I haven't found any great loads with it yet for my 7WSM. I continue to rely on the RL-19&22 and WXR for my best loads with the highest velocites. BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote