Find
Notify
Tools

Old 45ACP brass !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I was loading up a run of 45ACP rounds tonight and came across a case that was giving me some problems when I went to seat the primer. I turned over the case and read the info on the head, it read:

FA 41

If I understand the marking pattern of the military brass that case was made in 1941 and could be 71 years old. I'm thinking the FA could stand for Federal Arms/Ammo. I saved it and didn't reload it.

For those with more experience on case head code, is this the correct readings?

If so, what are some of the cases you lads have found?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I was loading up a run of 45ACP rounds tonight and came across a case that was giving me some problems when I went to seat the primer. I turned over the case and read the info on the head, it read:

FA 41

If I understand the marking pattern of the military brass that case was made in 1941 and could be 71 years old. I'm thinking the FA could stand for Federal Arms/Ammo. I saved it and didn't reload it.

For those with more experience on case head code, is this the correct readings?

If so, what are some of the cases you lads have found?

FA is Frankfort Arsenal

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I can remember qualifying w/ the 1911 in the Army in the mid 70's w/ steel-cased ammo dated 1945. Rounds didn't always go off.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup frankford arsenal 1941 is correct, but that's not old. I've still got a few rounds dated 1918

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have some 45 ACP loaded up thats headstamp reads .308 WIN

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have some 45 ACP loaded up thats headstamp reads .308 WIN

Eeker

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You do know what case the ACP was developed from don't you?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FA most likely Frankford Arsenal .Some of those have odd primer size no longer available -That would casue problems trying to install primers !! bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM, 45ACP was made with both large and small primers. I do not know about the FA, but I ALWAYS check mine that I get from the indoor range and separate the ones with small pockets.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do know what case the ACP was developed from don't you?

I don't believe it was developed from anything else. It was designed to be a 45 caliber of the prototype Colt 41. Also the first 45acp's had 200 grain bullets instead of the 230 we know today.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 was the parent case

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 30-06 was the parent case

I think Ted is correct.

IIRC, when the 1911 was developed the call for proposals stipulated the new pistol must use the cartridge designed and distributed by the Army to the various companies competing for the contract.

Prototype competitor pistols were received from Savage, Mauser or DWM (Luger, anyway), Colt, and several other firms.

Anyway, as Frankford Arsenal provided the ammo, and was a primary source of .30-06 ammo for the Armed Services, it only makes sense that they would use a case head diameter which when extended would properly house a .45 bullet, and at the same time be something for which they already had some of the tooling, gauges, etc. At that time that would have been the .30-06.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote