New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 55 Powder Measure
 Login/Join

Picture of Sudsy30
posted
I have been having off and on luck with the ole 55. I follow the Mfg's Specs and guide, but my powder fluctuates up and down by about 1/2 gr each 3-4 loads...

I wrote t Lyman, and got a rea snotty answer about how long they have been in business, and how to use a well developed measure.

Well, from the trenches...can someone give me some tips...also on how to properly read the scale's.....

Thanks

Suds

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I had one, and sold it on ebay. Got a Harrell, but still think the the RCBS Uniflow, with large and small drums, is the best buy. I also have had Redding, C-H, and Lee measures. Wish I could give you a magic tip on the Lyman, but had the same experience that you are having (except with ball powders and short grained extruded powders...almost any measure will do well with those). Flake powders and long grain extruded powders are problematic.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 55. The only problem that I have with mine is with long stick powders. I have found that the best way to adjust the measure is to accurately adjust the largest slide. If you have to move the two smallest slides the powder will not always fall into the void properly and force the powder to be cut when you throw the lever.

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sudsy30:
I have been having off and on luck with the ole 55. I follow the Mfg's Specs and guide, but my powder fluctuates up and down by about 1/2 gr each 3-4 loads...

I wrote t Lyman, and got a rea snotty answer about how long they have been in business, and how to use a well developed measure.

Well, from the trenches...can someone give me some tips...also on how to properly read the scale's.....

Thanks

Suds

I've been using the 55 since the late '60s. Tried several others and always find the 55 to throw more accurately. The key to throwing uniform charges with any powder thrower is consistancy. The thrower must be solidly mounted first off. With the 55 operate the handle the same with each throw; I let in knock against the stop. Then you must tap the knocker consistantly so it "knocks" against it's stop the same each time. I find that the knocker is what makes the 55 more accurate than other throwers because it settles the powder uniformly in the drum. With fine powders one knock is sufficient for a +/- .5 gr variance. With courser powders I use 2 -4 knocks depending on the courseness of the powder. A little experimenting weighing charges will show you what works for you. Remember it is the consistant operation that makes it accurate.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything Rx7 and Larry said, plus keep the hopper more than half full. Regardless of powder, I only knock once.

I have been using this 55 since 1987 and have done comparisons between throwing straight from the measure and loading over a scale, with probably 5 or more calibers. Best groups always come straight from the measure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your technique is critical with any measure. It has to be consistent. Operate the handle slowly and smoothly.

You may want to take a look at your mounting. The more rigid the better. Be aware that if the clamp on the back of the 55 is utilized, the measure body will be distorted if it is over-tightened. This is not the easiest measure to use. Changing settings is a b!tch, but you already know that.

But, those who have become accustomed to it love and prefer it. Would they as a group define a cult? I guess they would know better than me. I have one of these, but I'm not yet a fan. Am I averse to cults? Maybe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sudsy30:
I wrote to Lyman, and got a real snotty answer about how long they have been in business, and how to use a well-developed measure.

You should have called customer service. As friendly and accommodating as you could wish for. But you should never rely on anything they tell you. They don't know their equipment, but are not at all inhibited in providing answers. I'm sure they rate themselves highly. Much higher than I do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing to do with a 55 is get a Culver insert for it. I bought one recently for that purpose, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I had one in the early 1970's with a Culver insert and it was great. But, I sold it, and regret having done so.
I have a Harrel that I use now, but wanted the smaller 55 for the range.
That knocker that comes with the 55 is a real problem. You have to be very consistent when using it, or remove it.

Don

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I used a 55 for many years and all that was stated above applys.
The only diffrence is some powders throw consistent and others dont.
I always throw a little short of the weight then used a trickler to bring the weight up to my setting.
About 7-8 years ago I picked up an lyman autoscale and it is as consistent as they get, I have loaded all types of powder and the only one I have any problems with is the flake.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
The best thing to do with a 55 is get a Culver insert for it.

Is there a source for the inserts?

Picture of Sudsy30
posted Hide Post
What's a culver insert..... My problem with the measure is stick powder such as the 4064....but, thi powder has been giving me the most consistant and tightest grounds.... I thought that the measures were suppossed to make the job easier not more fustrating....

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Sudsy30
posted Hide Post
that was groups....not grounds ???? go figure where my head is