Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greeting Chaps.

Just a quick question for the more enlightened among us...

Who makes the brass for Sako, l heard one time that it was Norma but l'd just like to confirm this or find the real source...

l've picked up a pile of once fired .308 win cases and was wondering if they were worth the work....

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I do believe that they are responsible for making their own, and it is of generally very high quality. Though Lapua and Norma and RWS probably have a slight edge.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThe only experience I've had with Sako brass was in 25-06. It really was soft. Never got any more. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308Sako.
Ah l see, just wasn't sure and needed to confirm or refute my suspiscions.

Bartshe.
Having now run 40 through initial case prep, l have to concede... yes they are very soft.

What struck me was how uniform they are. l couldn't find any flash hole bur at all, and when weighed they all came within 4/10ths of a grain each side of 172 grains.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi there

Norma make the brass for:
Sako
Lapua,
RWS
Winchester
Weatherby
Dakota
Jarrett
Browning
kynoch
A whole bunch of others

I have never had a problem with any brass but I do load for middle of the road velocity.

Regards

Mark
Federal

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark.

That does save me the consideration of dragging a load of Norma/Lapua out of Aftab at the Midland next Sunday. Hmm, don't need brass...Ah more bullets!!!!

BTW. l thought l was the only night owl on this side of the pond. Stuck on night shift!!

:-)

Dave.

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave

No not a night owl, I just have to get up very early to sneak past the pheasants while they are asleep. I share a wood with a new pheasant shooting syndicate and the relaease pen is right in the middle of the wood making it difficult to get to my highseat for some fallow shooting. I really hate those birds always screeching and flapping through the wood.

If you are hunting Aftab has 308 Hornady Interbonds 150 gn which are fantastic on everything in the UK.

Regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:
Hi there

Sako
Lapua,
RWS
Winchester
Weatherby
Dakota
Jarrett
Browning
kynoch
A whole bunch of others

Did you really intend to put Winchester in that list? Winchester makes is own brass in the U.S. Winchester has also made brass and ammunition for Browning in the past, however I'm unaware that Browning is currently marketing any of its own ammunition.

To my knowledge, Norma's brass facility is in Sweden. There is, or has been, at least one brass mill in Finland.

The only Sako brass I have is for a .222 Magnum. It seems to have a hardness similar to the other two headstamps of .222 Mag brass I have.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:
Sako
Lapua,
RWS
Winchester
Weatherby
Dakota
Jarrett
Browning
kynoch
A whole bunch of others

Hmmm, I find this somewhat questionable as well. I don't believe Norma makes brass for Lapua, RWS, Sako or Winchester. They do make brass for Weatherby and Blaser. For the other brands mentioned, I simply don't know.

(Is brass headstamped "Browning" available??)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

I copied the list out of Norma's official catalogue

lapua bottom left, winchester bottom right and browning top middle
Makes you think doesnt it.

Regards

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is brass headstamped "Browning" available??)

Browning marketed ammunition some years ago. I still have and use Browning headstamped brass from some .338 ammunition that I purchased on closeout. It was boxed in very attractive black and gold boxes, but was made by and identical to Winchester ammunition.

I have no idea what the Norma catalog page is supposed to be indicating? Can someone translate?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
The text to the left simply implies that a large number of worldwide leading manufacturers of firearms use cartridges from Norma as a reference for their quality control and as a norm.

Text to the right says that for many years, Norma's cartridges have been the norm for a large number of manufacturers of ammunition worldwide.

Carcano, Monastery forester or some other native German, please correct me if my old and weary German is wrong.

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
The German text reads:
"Norma's competitors are Norma's customers.
For many years Norma has been manufacturing cases for a great number of ammunition manufacturers all over the world."

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MarkH.

Not to hijack but l get screatchin' students at all times of the night to look after, and l'd swap you for a mob of ring-necks any day Wink Hope the Fallow show well for you thumb

Yes the interbond is on my list and will get tested if l find some at Aftabs'

Thanks for all the replys gents, l've learned a little more...

All the best.

Dave.