New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 & Barnes
 Login/Join

<smokinjoe>
posted
Does anyone have any load data for the Barnes 350 gn XFB in the .45-70? Barnes didn't list
it in the new manual.

<william.burnside>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjoe:
Does anyone have any load data for the Barnes 350 gn XFB in the .45-70? Barnes didn't list
it in the new manual.

<william.burnside>
posted
I've shot quite a few on these fine bullets in my Ruger#1 45-70, But you will have to work up the loads on your own, I used the 300 grain X-Tip with RL-7, and got 2400 fps.

Since the x-tip bullets are all longer than lead based bullets, the seating depth depends on your throat in your rifle.

I'f I was you I would eliminate all other powders than RL-7, use the 300 grain bullet and as long as you push it 1600 fps, it will perform better than you'll see out of anyone elses bullets.

I used a 400 grain from my custom Ruger #1, in 45-120ss (or 45 Basic RCBS 3 1/4") and held the velocity to 2600 fps last year and broke both shoulders on a white-tail and the deer went backwards about 8 feet. The bullet exited the same diameter of the entrance. You can't ask for better performance.
This year shot another deer and broke both shoulders and her forward momemtum carried her 12 yards.

If you load in a single-shot go with the x-tips, but if it's a carbine like Marlins, then swith to Noslers 300 FP and consult Lyman's fine Manual. If you have a NEF, H&R don't load hot or you'll blow you gun up since those Rifles are to be help to Class 2 loads.