Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 Ackley Improved 40 Degree
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 280 AI, It shoots 140gr. Swift A-Frame real well at about 3300 fps. My question is should I use this on a Elk hunt or try a load in 160 gr. Swift or Nosler, ect.
If so, anyone have any 160gr. Loading data that they would like to share.
Thank You

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the heavier bullet. You don't need pinpoint accuracy, an elk is a pretty big animal. You do need weight of metal however, the more the better. any kind of 4350 or 4831 should give you good results with the 160's.

[ 06-01-2003, 05:02: Message edited by: beemanbeme ]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hammerdown,
I have been using IMR-7828 in my 280AI and it works very well. 63.5 grains is what I use, with a 160 Nos. Part., but my rifle is throated out so the bullets are 3.380 in length. I also use Winchester cases and f 215 primers. If you are using Remington start at 15% below this My buddy uses Remington cases and he had to stop at 62 grains Hope this helps. DRBOB

Posts: 34 | Location: NORTH CAROLINA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammerdown,
Did you have the rifle rechambered? If so, may I ask who did it? Are you happy with the work? Velocity gain? What was the turnaround time? Cost? And finally, how long is your barrel? I have a .280 Rem, and have thought about having it reamed. The only thing stopping me is the 22" barrel. Thanks,,,,,,,Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Hammerdown:

With that kind of velocity and a premium bullet such as the Swift, you're fine for elk even at 140 grains. You are getting 7mm Rem Mag performance. My .02 worth.

Jordan

posted Hide Post
I say thank you all for your help.

drbob, what kind of muzzel velocity are you getting with your 160gr. load? and you buddy's load if different. And how long is your barrel?

Bug
Yes I did have my gun rechambered. I had Mark Browm of Brown Precision Inc. do the work. Yes I am happy with it, he did a nice job.
Let me tell you about my gun. To start with it was a Remington 700 KS custom shop gun. I ordered from the factory. I wanted a 24" barrel it came with a 26" .. The bolt would not close down. It had one of those J-Locks on it you could turn it back and forth but still the bolt would not close. What happened to Quality control.

So I try various loads and wow 2" group with this so called custom shop gun. Can you imagine a gun from the custom shop, bolt won't close won't shoot.
So I took my gun to Mark Brown he inspected it he looked at the stock it was not bedded right. The action was not square to the barrel. He asked me if I wanted this rifel to shoot good tight groups, I said yes. He told me he would have to bed the action, reset the barrel to the action. He ask me if I would like to have it rechamberd to the Ackley Improved while he had my gun apart. I said yes, and I have not regreted it one bit. It now will shoot 1/2" groups and better. I say thank you Mark Brown.

The turn around time was about three weeks. for the rechamber part I think it might of been about $125.00
Mark has done other work for me and I am just as happy.
If you would like to contact Mark here is his information: (Oh yea I gained about l50 fps!)

Mark Brown
Brown Precision, Inc.
7786 Molinos Avenue
P.O. Box 270 W
Los Molinos, CA 96055
(530) 384-2506
(530) 384-1683 Fax
web www.brownprecision.com/

hammerdown

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote