THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Has anyone tried the Dillon Case trimmer?.................

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried the Dillon Case trimmer?.................
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have lots of cases to trim in a couple calibers and was wondering if anyone has used the Dillon case trimmer. It looks fast but it's not cheap at all and before I pull the trigger on buying one I'd like to hear if they work well or not. Thanks........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I have lots of cases to trim in a couple calibers and was wondering if anyone has used the Dillon case trimmer. It looks fast but it's not cheap at all and before I pull the trigger on buying one I'd like to hear if they work well or not. Thanks........................DJ

DJP - I have a Dillon case trimmer which was given to me by a friend. Mine is set up for .308 Winchester. Following my experiences with it, I would never spend the money to buy one.

They ARE faster in a way....that is, they do quickly get rid of a lot of cartridge neck brass. The problem with mine is that the brass is not cut off cleanly, but sort of ripped off, with the remaining top edge of the case neck flattened and turned over. So, inside and outside neck chamfering is made much more difficult than on cases cut with other trimmers I have used.

It is always possible they have redesigned the current ones so that is not a problem. I've had mine since the late 1980s.

In the version I have, it is also necessary to buy a different trimmer part for every different caliber you are trimming. (I don't recall what the part is called, but will try to look it up if it matters to you.) A few months of use was enough for me....I now haven't used mine in 20 years....it just occupies space in one of my storage cabinets.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one in 223, 308,30-06 and have had no problems with it,my cuts are clean .

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had already gone ahead and ordered one before I read these posts. They must have redesigned the trimmer from the one Albert is using because the one I bought ROCKS!
I have several thousand 223's to trim and I can't beleive how fast it's working. I have a 650 with a case feeder so basically it's trimming as fast as I can crank the handle. I'll still have to deburr and chamfer but that's not that big of a deal, I can do that while watching a movie with the Kids or something.
It wasn't cheap but for high volumn trimming It's awesome.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote